Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long should ribs brine? Cooking tommorrow with Tims 3/1 /1-1/2 method.Hope to cook tender and juicy.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    T.P.S,
    In my very limited Eggsperience....I`ve "NEVER" heard of anyone brining ribs.......if I misunderstood ..please explain and we will all be happy to respond..[p]Wess

• WessB, Didn't know not to brine ribs. Thanks for the input and advice.

• WessB
    Options
    T.P.S,
    Hey bud...we`re all here to learn...let us know how it turns out..you may have just discovered something...you`re not putting rub or other spices on them and confusing that with brining are you...brining is to submerge in a salt and spice + water mixture for typically overnight...where a rub is a dry spice mixture which is applied and allowed to soak into the ribs overnight????[p]Wess

• WessB,
    I knew the difference but was not sure if both needed to be applied as with other cuts of meat. Learn with help. Thanks

• WessB
    Options
    T.P.S,
    gothcha...may I suggest this....Tim M has an eggsellent website and he has recently included a complilation done by Bill Wise ( Wise one ) which explains brining and just about anything else thats been discussed here....it`s an awesome tool for any Q`er..and i think he can even tell ya how to cut your friggin grass the right way..LOL...anyway..it`s well worth the read..and Tim has some priceless info on his site even if you dont read Wiseone`s awesome file[p]
    Wess

[ul][li]Tim M`s[/ul]
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    T.P.S,
    Brined some ribs several months ago just experimenting, if I recall it was over night, 8-10 hours. Came out a little salty but not overbearing.
    Mark

• WessB
    Options
    Mark,
    I can remember the reaction I got to my post about brining pork chops...most all said they had never done that..to this day they were some of the best chops I`ve ever done...as I stated..we`re all here to learn..thanks for your input[p]
    Wess

• T.P.S,
    This is the only thing I can find on brining ribs. It's kinda long.
    CHEATER-STYLE BARBECUED RIBS
    Time: 4 1/2 hours, plus 24 hours' brining
    2 full racks of pork spareribs, about 3 pounds to a rack
    Smoky brine (see recipe)
    Barbecue spice rub (see recipe)
    Basic barbecue sauce (see recipe).
    1. Place the ribs in the bucket, very large roasting pan or other container holding the brine. Make sure that the ribs are completely covered. Refrigerate them for 24 hours, turning them once after 12 hours.
    2. Heat oven to 200 degrees. Remove ribs from brine, dry with paper towels, and rub all over with the spice rub, pressing slightly to be sure it adheres. Put ribs on baking sheets, place in oven, and cook for 4 1/2 hours or until ribs are very tender. Remove, and serve, passing the basic barbecue sauce for diners to apply as they wish.
    Yield: 6 servings. [p]SMOKY BRINE
    Time: 5 minutes
    4 ounces ( 1/2 cup) liquid smoke
    1 1/2 cups kosher salt
    3/4 cup brown sugar.
    In a large bucket, very large roasting pan or other container that can easily hold the meat to be brined, combine a gallon of water, liquid smoke, salt and brown sugar. Stir to dissolve salt and sugar.
    Yield: about a gallon.[p]BARBECUE SPICE RUB
    Time: 5 minutes
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1/4 cup paprika.
    In a small bowl, combine all ingredients, and mix well. This rub will keep for months when covered and stored in a cool, dark place.
    Yield: 1 scant cup.[p]BASIC BARBECUE SAUCE
    Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
    2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    1 onion, minced
    6 ounces tomato puree
    2 16-ounce cans of tomatoes with juice
    2/3 cup white vinegar
    1/4 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
    1 tablespoon each, paprika and chili powder
    2 teaspoons each, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
    1. In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, and saute, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 7 to 10 minutes.
    2. Add the tomato puree, tomatoes, vinegar, orange juice, brown sugar, paprika, chili powder and salt and pepper, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to very low, and simmer, uncovered, at lowest possible heat for 1 hour, stirring every once in a while to prevent scorching.
    3. In a food processor or blender, puree the sauce, in batches if necessary.
    Yield: about 2 pints.[p]