Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

highest temp. on the mini???

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the highest temp. that you have reached on the mini?????
I get about 550° depending on how far the thermometer is in the dome, that is using the stock ceramic fire grate. I will change mine out to a "diamond mesh/expended metal" to see if the temps. will increase.
Cheer's to all,
New Bob

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    New Bob,
    I have the diamond mesh in my mini and have gone past the 750* mark several times.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    New Bob,
    I can`t personally speak for the mini..but I recently purchased a small...and 550° on a small is like 650° or better on the large...I cant imagine what you would need more than 550° on the mini for..when I cook on my small the proximity to the coals makes all the difference in the world..the grid is closer to the coals so things cook differently....admittedly I have only done about 6 cooks on my small..but I`ve never felt like I needed higher temps to achieve the results.....not trying to sound like I`m coming down on ya...just expressing my eggsperiences...youd be surprised how well a steak cooks at 550° when it`s only 2" from the fire...just my $.02[p]Wess

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    WessB,
    Wow, that was a quick response. Thank you for a point of view that I had not considered. I may need to do many more cooks to eggsperience the difference.
    Happy Egg-n to ya,
    New Bob

• WessB
    Options
    New Bob,
    I charred the first 2 steaks pretty good...but they were still great...if your one that prefers "Rare" steaks..you`ll love it...let it crank up to 550° throw em on and flip in about 3 mins/side...happy eggsperimentin..[p]Wess

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    New Bob,[p]I agree with Wess as dome temp mainly measures air temp. The infrared heat of the fire also cooks the meal. The closer the meal is to the fire, the faster it cooks.[p]I use the stock BGE ceramic grates in all of my Eggs and can get the mini up to 750°+F. The mini likes smaller pieces of charcoal (a great use for leftover coals from a previous cook).[p]Spin
  • WessB
    Options
    Spin,
    havent spoken to you in a while.....best wishes to you and yours.....[p]Wess

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    New Bob, I have had my mini so hot that it not only passed the 750 mark - it went all the way around to the 11:00 position. It burned right into my favorite J.K. Adams BBQ board. Have hair dryer..... JCA