Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How big a Boston Butt to feed 15

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be providing lunch for 15 hungry people. The question is how big a boston butt do I need to start with to end up with enough pulled pork for 15 people? I plan on bringing cole slaw and beans. Pulled pork will be served on "plain white bread"
Thanks in advance,
Rich B[p]

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Rich B,[p]Figure about 5 oz. of pulled meat per sandwich or 3 sandwich portions per pound of finished meat. If you are really talking "hungry" folks, many will want more than 1 sandwich. Allow for 35-40% shrinkage during the cook.[p]I'd say do a pair of the biggest butts you can find (usually less than 7 lbs.) and you should have enough for the crowd. Left overs are never a problem and freeze well.[p]K~G

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Rich B,
    When I was cooking for a crowd.....I believe I was told....figure 2-4 people/pound...and you should figure on losing 30% of your initial weight when cooking...a 9# butt will yield 6# of PP....it would certainly not be a bad thing to make to much, it freezes well and you will be surprised at how much of it will get eaten...not to mention the actual cook itself..for the time it takes to cook,it makes sense to make extra..I am hoping to do some this Sunday and am cooking double what I originally intended..and it`s just for 2 of us..LOL..hope this helps, I`m sure others will chime in also..[p]Wess

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    KennyG,
    You are dead on the money...I need to cook a couple of butts myself.
    Larry

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Rich B,
    I cooked three 8 pounders for a group of 12 big guys, and we ate about 2 of them. If they are hungry big eaters, I would go with three butts in the 6-8 pound range. Like K~G sez....leftovers are righteous.
    Cheers. When is the big cook?
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    Rich B,
    I'd go with three 6 to 8 pounders, this will give you plenty for everybody and then some. One serving suggestion though, go with Martin's Potato Bread or Rolls if you can get them. It comes out of Pennsylvania Dutch Country, so availability in your area may vary, but it's the most addictive carbohydrate known to man, I've even heard it referred to as "crack-loaf". Well, not really, I just made that up, but this stuff is GOOOOOOD.

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    KennyG, My limited exposure to catering Que shows that your numbers are pretty accurate. I'm currently doing up two butts that are in the 4 lb range each with intention of feeding 11 folks. This is as a favour to Denise's co-worker who has family over from Ireland and wants to feed them some 'North American' food. Will pull them about 2 pm, lightly sauce and sprinkle with rub then into big aluminum tray and wrap tight. Will also send along a small jar of the sauce (homemade of course). Only thing I would add to your initial advise is to set aside about a pound or so of the pulled pork, put into a freezer bag and save for adding into your next batch of baked beans!
    Qfan

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]That's good advice! As I think about it, everytime I've done PP for a party, it all seems to go no matter how much I make. Even after all have eaten, they will keep pickin' at the extra if left out. [p]Next time, I will stash some away before serving guests. It's also great as a pizza topping.[p]K~G

• Jeff
    Jeff Posts: 75
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    I'm not sure, could this be Martin's contact info.....[p]MARTIN'S FAMOUS PASTRY SHOPPE
    1000 POTATO ROLL LANE
    CHAMBERSBURG, PA 17201
    Phone: (717) 263-9580
    Fax: (717) 263-7889
    Product: potato rolls[p]I wonder if they ship to Illinois.......

• Citizen Q
    Options
    Jeff,
    That's the stuff, I live on Cape Cod and the three supermarket chains near me all carry Martin's products, though in limited quantities, they all get their deliveries on Saturday and are usually sold out by Thursday. If they ship to MA, I'm sure IL must get some too.