Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Roaster Chicken

sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I cooked a 6 pound whole roaster, the first time in a long time as the wife is not too crazy about chicken cooked this way. I promised her it would turn out good and that it would be done all the way through and not raw, she gave me the go ahead.[p]Sunday afternoon I rubbed the underskin portion of the chicken with a nice rustic rub that had been mixed with oil and water to make a paste. I lifted as much of the skin as possible and got it all over and inside the cavity well. I also inserted about a dozen or so large sun dried tomatoes that had been packed in garlic oil (made these earlier this year from the garden). The oil I mixed the rub with was from this sun dried tomato bottle and was VERY flavorful, garlic and tomato flavor was great. I also rubbed down the outside of the skin with that oil and then applied some more dry rub to the whole thing. I then took the rest of the oil and water and rub and made a more liquid solution out of it and injected the whole bird with it. This sat in the fridge until last night (about 30 hours) when I cooked it.[p]Cooking was simple. I got the egg to about 350 then placed on some fire bricks and set a pie plate on those, then a vertical chicken sitter in that with some water in the pie place and in the pan of the chicken sitter. Cooked it for about 2 hours at 325-350 with some orange wood, I cheated and used the little thermometer that comes with the bird. I pulled it out before it came out but it came out as the bird sat on the counter before I cut it.[p]Bird was moist, tender, and VERY flavorful and even the wife had great things to say about it. Kids both had seconds as well and we have some leftover for sammiches.[p]Pretty simple but I often find that simple is better.[p]By the way, I'm an uncle again, my brother and his wife had a baby boy last night about 8:45pm, their second child. 7 pounds and both mom and son are doing fine, not sure about dad yet. Coming home on Wednesday. Amongst all of the tragedy of late there is new life. Kind of prophetic and deep but it really makes me think about how lucky we are to have what we have in this country and no matter what happens, life will go on and we will recover and be stronger as a result of it.[p]Troy

Comments