Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Temps and Smoking Wood

ColoradoCook
ColoradoCook Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Brisket sales are plentiful this week (.99 per #) with the approaching Jewish holiday. I have a 14 pounder lined up for this weekend and was looking for some temperature suggestions for a brisket this big.[p]Also what smoking wood does everyone prefer. I've used hickory the past few brisket cooks and was wondering if Mesquite or a Mesquite/Hickory mix would be better.[p]Where is the best place to monitor temperature: The flat or the tip? I monitored the temp towards the tip (thick end) the last time and the flat part was not as tender as it should be.[p]Thanks for the help,[p]CC

Comments

• ColoradoCook,
    IMHO, and since we're both west of the Mississippi, I think mesquite and/or some kind of oak might be best. The local Rudy's BBQ here locally, uses oak....on everything! The hickory might be too overpowering, and the mesquite or oak might be more in tune with what our Texas friends might prescribe. Thanks for the tip on possible seasonal savings on Brisket. I'll head over to my local Sam's for a look!
    Big Murth in Nuevo.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    ColoradoCook,
    The last brisket I did was only the flat, and it was smoked with Jack Daniels soaked oak: very good! Have fun.

• ColoradoCook,
    Personally, I prefer to temper the harshness of the mesquite with an equal amount of maple, and since brisket is my favorite thing to Egg, I keep a Mason jar filled with the 2 constantly soaking in hard cider. These 3 flavors really mix well together and so far seems to be the crowd favorite too.

• ColoradoCook,[p]I think the best place to stick your probe is in the thickest part of the meat and as far away as possible from the fattiest parts. The point section has much more fat, and that could be what's giving you a less-than-accurate reading.[p]I've cooked several whole briskets this summer and by far the best was the one that was cooked indirect at the lowest temperature (200-220 degrees dome) for the longest time (20 hours for a 12.5-pounder). When the internal temperature gets to about 190, the maximum amount of fat and connective tissue has been rendered out and you are left, after the brisket has spent an hour off the heat wrapped in aluminum foil, with lush, rich, tender meat.[p]I say try the hickory/mesquite mix and see if you like it.[p]Cheers,[p]David[p]

• Citizen Q,[p]That mesquite and maple sounds good. I just had a friend ship me 20 pounds of sugar maple, I used it for the first time on some baby backs with a little apple wood; it was awesome.[p]Thanks,[p]CC
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    ColoradoCook,
    I think it is a good idea to measure temperature in the flat...the thin end. I learned this from Cat, and have been getting great results. The flat can dry out by the time the point end reaches 185-200. The point is always done perfectly when the flat is done....in my experience anywho.[p]Try smoking with cherry wood. My personal favorite. Maybe a little oak alongside. Briskets absorb smoke more so than butts, so don't overdo it![p]As far as temps, I would go with 250 indirect elevated over a drip pan, and count on 20 hours give or take a few.[p]just some thoughts and opinions. Have fun! I wish we could get chunks-o-chest for that price.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ