Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Owner - 3 Cooks in Less than 24 Hours!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally got my egg in yesterday (a large). I've been lurking here for a few weeks. Finally have a reason to post. I've already had 3 cooks on it in less than 24 hours. Almost went 4 for 4, but decided to do the cinnamon rolls in the oven this morning (I'm sure they would've been better in the egg, though).[p]Last night I did a TREX strip, a chicken breast, bacon wrapped mushrooms, and bacon wrapped asparagus. My wife was working (night shift nurse) and couldn't be here to enjoy it, so I cooked the same thing for lunch today. She couldn't believe how good the chicken was. These were perhaps 2 of the best strips I've ever eaten. I can't wait to try out a filet.[p]I have an 8 pound pork loin smoking (with hickory chunks) on it right now. Probably have about an hour left to go. I just flipped them and they look delicious![p]Thanks to all of you who have posted pictures. It was the deciding factor in my purchase.[p]I almost let my wife talk me into buying a small egg several weeks ago because we thought that it would be big enough to serve our needs (me, her, and a 2 year old). I'm glad a did a little research and went with the large. I will eventually be purchasing a small for being able to do 2 different things at once.[p]I have a pretty decent stainless gas grill that I have already decided to get rid of. Night and day difference in the old gasser and the egg. When I was in college, a roommate of mine had a Viking 48" grill. I thought that it didn't get any better. Man was I wrong. He had another one that he was supposed to give me, but I've never went to pick it up. I never will now. I'm sold on the BGE. I'll never be embarrassed by burnt chicken from flare ups again!!!![p]Thanks again for everyones pics and advice.

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    GTHOM,[p]Don't let that chunk-o-pork get over about 135°. Pull it off and wrap that rascal for a little while with foil while it finishes cooking and getting all juicy. You WILL be da MAN!

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    GTHOM,
    easy fella! you'll be four hunnerd pounds before you know it.[p]take care to stay sub-500 for a while if you can. gasket adhesives the past year have been 'off'. maybe an odd lot or something. glue has been releasing... a few cooks more, say 400 max, and you can TREX without (relative) fear.[p]you find wessB's site? ...and the NakedWhiz's?[p]mandatory reading.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,[p]I'm a little over halfway there, already! (pushing 235 right now!)[p]Yes, I have been reading them quite a bit. Great info. I've got a 15# brisket that I picked up at Brookshire's Midnight Madness Sale yesterday (99 cents/lb). I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow. It will be hard to beat my oven brisket, but I'm going to let the egg have a shot at it.[p]From reading on here, it seems like some people have a hard time cooking brisket in the egg. Here's the recipe for my easy oven brisket that is to die for.[p]~Cut up enough garlic cloves in wedges to put them in the brisket about 1" apart
    ~Take a knife and stab a hole in the brisket (fat side up)
    ~Put a wedge of the garlic clove in it (clove should be all the way inside the brisket or as close as possible (the more you put in, the more they will start easing out)
    ~If you really want to get fancy put some green onions under the garlic wedges
    ~Cover the entire brisket in a 1" grid this way with the garlic
    ~Cover the brisket (fat side up) with Tony's or Lawry's Season Salt. I mean COVER it. You will think that it is too much, but you'll be glad you did.
    ~Bake brisket UNCOVERED for 45 minutes-1 hour fat side up at around 400 degrees. You'll want a nice deep pan, as it will produce juices. It is important to cook fat side up so the fat juices keep the top moist and tender.
    ~Cover with aluminum foil
    ~Drop to 200-225 for 8-12 hours (depending on how big your brisket is) - note: if you use convection cooking, drop the temp as low as possible and be ready to take it out in 6-8 hours.[p]I've taken this to tailgating events and people couldn't believe it was oven cooked brisket. I've gotten really nice compliments on it and never found anyone who didn't like it.
    Total prep time: 15 minutes
    Start at 10pm - 12pm and have lunch the following day.