Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey Breast

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked my first Smoked Turkey Breast tonight and it was delicious.... but the out layer was a bit pink. Is this common with smoking.... I am worried..........

Comments

• davidm
    Options
    Size Matters,[p]That's the smoke ring, and it's the sign of smoked food. It does give a person the heebie-jeebies the first time one sees it if he doesn't know to look for it, but it's The Right Stuff.[p]Congratulations![p]David[p]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Size Matters,[p]The coloring on the outer surfaces is normal for a charcoal cook on the Egg. If a smoke flavoring was added during the cook, then the coloring will be more pronounced. Smoke tends to color from the outside in - resulting in the smoke "ring" you observed.[p]As long as the juices run clear, the meat is cooked to doneness. The best way to determine meat doneness is by monitoring interal meat temperature. A polder type thermometer is useful for this purpose.[p]Congratulations on a great meal.[p]Spin
  • davidm,[p]Thanks for the note. I have been preparing myself for a long evening hugging the toilet...... I am glad to hear that. We make brisket and it appears pink sometimes as well too... The name I used is just a joke.. is the name we were going to name our boat. After I used it I was worried that no one would respond. Thanks a bunch .......[p]
  • Spin,
    Thanks for the note.... I fell much better about it. We did use the thermometer but I think it was a point shy of 170"

• Spin
    Options
    Size Matters,[p]165°F is safe. I have cooked them to 210°F when I wanted to use the leftovers for salad and the initial serving was still juicy. Your Egg is most forgiving with the cook.[p]Spin
  • Spin, morning Spin . just so i understand , you say that you have cooked them to 210 degrees and they are still moist ? reg

• Spin
    Options
    reg,[p]Yes. Moist, not juicy. I cook them at 275°F until the internal breast is 200°F. They normally raise 5-10°F while resting. I only do this when the meal is intended for salad as cooking to 165°F leaves the texture of the meat too tender.[p]Spin
  • Spin, strokes for folks i guess . reg