Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to cook steaks on the Egg?
Thanks

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    BostonBob,
    There are many ways, BUT only one correct way.

[ul][li]Trex steaks[/ul]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Richard,
    "one correct way"[p]...proverbial can of worms there!
    hahaha

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard
    Options
    stike,
    Let's see if there are any bites. I really wanted others ways to show up.

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    BostonBob,
    Most here love the Trex method. Personally, I like my steak rare, so I just get the flames going direct, put the meat on with some blacken seasoning, burn each side and put it on the plate. I am not sure what the Trex method can do any better than that. [p]MC Jerry

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    It also depends on the thickness of the meat and the quality. Another way to do the steak is the sear last. Some will say the sear first will allow some of the juices to get out. Here you go: Put the steak on the Egg at dome 250. Take the steak off when the internal temp is 125. Ramp up the flames and sear it last to your liking. This is supposed to keep the meat more moist inside. I have done it this way, but still like my way of burning both sides and eating it rare. [p]MC Jerry

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    I agree with you that the T-Rex method is too much cooking time for me. I like it red (cold) in the middle.
    Bob

• BostonBob,
    I marinate mine in Dale's Low Sodium. Crank the grill up to about 650. Cook two minutes on each side to sear. Flip one more time. Close all vents off and let sit for about 4 minutes for a nice medium, less for more rare.

• shelly
    shelly Posts: 29
    Options
    I just follow the way it's done on the included video--temp to 600-650, Cook 2 minutes, flip and cook another 2 minutes both times with vents wide open and dome closed. Flip 3rd time and close vents and dome. Wait 2 minutes, open vents, burp and remove.[p]Shelly[p]P1010687.jpg

• Richard,
    The one correct way is the way you like it![p]OK, having said that, I like my steals Medium Rare. I use a method quite similar to the TRex method, cept, the resting part is at the end of the cook, not the middle. The steaks cooked in the link you provided are more closer to medium well, than medium (last picture)[p]to make a long story short, here is my method, and you will vary it dending on the cut of meat, and the thickness.
    1. get your fire going. It has to be hot. about 5 minutes after starting, gibe it a stir so that the fire distributes evenly. put your grill on. (I use the BGE Cast Iron Grill, I like the sear marks.[p]2. you steaks should be on the kitchen counter when you start the fire. Sprinkle on your favorite rub or what ever. Some folks use salt n' peper. I use famous Daves steal seasoning, and something that is like Montreal Steak seasoning. buy it at Sams, It's called 'Steak Seasoning' [p]3. when the gril is hot, dome should read 600 degrees plus. put your steaks on the grill, close the lid. in 2 minutes, turn em 90 degrees to get a cross pattern on em. 2 more minutes, flip em over, 2 mote minutes, turn em 90 degrees, 2 more minutes, close all the vents for 2 more minutes. 10 minutes overall (plus or minus, this is for a 1" thick steak) now here is the important part. remove the steaks to a serving plate, garnish with sprigs of fresh rosemary from the garden. Let the steaks rest for a minimum of 10 minutes. now serve em up. you'll find that the muscle fibers have relaxed, distributing the juices throughout the steak. Seared on the outside, mediun rare on the inside. just the way I like em.[p]**Caution: At no time, ever, ever, should you use a fork to pierce your steak. You should have some tongs to do this for you. One Video on TRex cooking on YouTube looked pretty good, until the cook used a big ol fork to turn his meat, he lost all creditability with me. No Forks, got it? **[p]OK, so that's how I do it, and it works for pretty much every cut. for tenderloin, needs a little longer, and just a touch cooler fire. For Rib eyes this works good, for Sirloin, increase the time to 2.5 minutes. [p]so the answer to the question, is cook em how you like em. that is the correct way. This is mine.[p]

• Richard
    Options
    EggspertMN,
    Thanks for the method. Yes the correct way is the way you like it! Thanks

• Richard,
    You don't use a fork to turn your steaks? do you?
    :-0[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    BostonBob,
    the trex method is the full event, you light the egg then crack open a beer, then later you crack open another beer and sear and rest your steak. then you crack open another beer and roast and rest your steak. then its time to relax, crack open a beer and pour it into your favorite chilled mug, sit down and enjoy the best steak you ever had. sides are optional. the important thing is to enjoy the cook.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Richard
    Options
    EggspertMN,
    I prefer chopsticks and then toss in for smoke flavor, kinda sweet. hehe
    Actually have about 3 pairs of tongs on my large table for the job.

• Richard,
    You Da Man!