Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thrill of the Grill Sweet Potatoes/Molasses Glaze

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
I followed the recipe in Chris Schlessinger's cookbook, The Thrill of the Grill, and we enjoyed some wonderful sweet potatoes on Saturday. I used yams (I always get yams and sweet potatoes confused; the ones I had were orange, not yellow)[p]For four big sweets/yams: slice them in lengthwise into 1/2 inch-thick pieces. Boil them until barely fork-tender, about 8 minutes. Don't overcook, as they'll fall apart. Drain them and allow to cool. [p]For the glaze: 4 Tbsp molasses, 4 Tbsp room temperature butter, juice of 1/2 orange, and a pinch of allspice. Mix together until combined.[p]Grill the slices for a few minutes on each side, until they're grill-marked. Brush with glaze and turn them a time or two until the glaze is nice and sticky and the slices are tender.[p]This is a great recipe!
Cheers,
Gretl

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gretl,
    Speaking of killer recipes, I cooked your Dijon Bourbon Salmon for a party yesterday, using a massive filet. I used maple syrup for half the sugar, and added a couple tsp of Sriracha. No fresh dill, so I sprinkled with dried. Started it at 250 indirect with a healthy dose of apple smoke, and over the next 3 hours worked up to 350. Served the gorgeous glazed filet on a plate lined with MikeO's pineapple slices.[p]You should have heard all of the comments. The plate was cleaned off in no time.
    Thanks for a winner!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    You're welcome! And as for modifying recipes...I seldom make things the same way twice in a row. Creativity lies in the ability to modify and embellish, IMHO.[p]Try the sweet potatoes...you have the book, right? I'm going to try the Sweet Potato Pie recipe done in the Egg sometime. So much to cook, so little time!!
    Cheers,
    G.

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Gretl,[p]? I always get yams and sweet potatoes confused; the ones I had were orange, not yellow[p]: Actually, what we (Americans) call yams are sweet potatoes! "Real" yams are kinda bland . . . [p]See: http://www.taunton.com/fc/features/ingredients/40sweetpotvsyams.htm[p]MikeO
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gretl,
    Sweet Potatoes are one of my very few food hangups. I DO have that book though, and might give those orange thangs another go sometime! My mom used to make this whipped sweet tater casserole with pinepples, pecans, brown sugar, and melted marshmallows on top. That is the olnly way I have liked em. Then again, it was more like a dessert...even though it was always served with Thangsgiving dinner.[p]Yes, I rarely use the same recipe twice either. Creativity and sperimentin' is half the fun.
    I wanna try a salmon paste made up with that Thai Tamarind Hot sauce Jobu sent me!
    Cheers back.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    For a simple way, try peeling them and cutting them in half lengthwise. Put a lot of butter and brown sugar on the cut sides. Wrap in tinfoil and bake at 350F for an hour to an hour 15 minutes depending on the size. Serve in the foil.
    JimW