Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef shoulder roast

Options
Mayberry Smoker
Mayberry Smoker Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We picked up a shoulder roast on sale today, what's a good way to fix it. We were thinking pot roast with potatoes and carrots, will this cut work for that, if so does anyone have a good recipe for pot roast. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Mayberry Smoker,[p]Citrus Roast[p]+ Season meat, marinate for no more than 2 hours in apple cider & pineapple juice, chopped garlic. [Don't marinate with citrus too long, or it begins to "cook" the meat, and makes the meat mushy and gray]
    + Heat cast iron pot, splash in a little OO -- bring to light smoke.
    + Sear all sides of meat [can be done direct over high heat, but I like to create lots of frond on the bottom of the pot]
    + Deglaze with some red wine, or with apple cider. You can also deglaze with marinade
    + cover bottom of pot with onion slices & garlic slices
    + put in roast
    + add lots of potatoes, carrots, rutabaga, turnip... whatever root veggies floats your boat... cut large pieces up -- not too small! Veggies should fill in the sides of the meat, and cover the top of the meat. Season veggies
    + add apple cider & pineapple juice to nearly cover the meat.
    + Add onion chunks to the top...[p]Roast, covered, indirect @250 - 300 for up to 4+ hours.[p]~ Broc[p]

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    Mayberry Smoker,
    If it's a "Shoulder Muscle", I like it best cooked as a roast.
    You can do a sear, off for 20 then roast at 400 till done.[p]It has a vein of gristle running right through the middle and if I was good at carving up beef I'd make two steaks out of it. But I'm not so I don't (tho I've tried and made a mess)[p]It is probably one of the cheapest cuts of meat ever, but makes a delicious, tender roast beef.