Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maintenance and durability of the BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What sort of maintenance does the BGE require? Are there any parts to the BGE that may require replacement over time and how expensive is it to replace these parts? Thanks for your imput. Jonny

Comments

• hounddog
    Options
    I have found that it requires very little in the way of maintenance. Any dirt/grease cleans up by firing up the thing at high heat and letting it self clean. The only thing I have had to replace in two years of heavy use is the grate down at the bottom, total cost of around 10 bucks. I have bought and noodled with a lot of accessory type stuff, but that is self-limiting -- if i don't want to do it, I don't need to. The finish on the outside is pretty durable. I just leave the thing out and don't worry about it.
  • George T.
    Options
    Jonny,
    I have had my BGE 3.5 years. The only thing I have had to replace is the gasket....one time, but it needs it again. They are just a few bucks....All the ceramic parts are covered by a lifetime warranty.[p]Very little maintenance other than this.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Jonny,
    Because it is ceramic, the Egg has unique advantages and disadvantages, esp. when compared to a metal-bodied cooker. It can't rust or warp, and the finish won't degrade when exposed to high temperatures and the elements. At the same time, reasonable care must be taken to prevent it from being broken. (Someone falls into it and knocks it over, etc.) There's the potential for damage to the auto-lock hinge mechanism - someone might force (and so damage) it. The top is held in place by a steel band secured by bolts. These bolts need to be inspected periodically and tightened as needed, lest they loosen and allow the top to slip. Any breakage in the ordinary course of cooking is covered under a lifetime warranty.
    With reasonable care, you'll get a life time of cooking for your investment. If I "had it do over again," I'd do it again - just sooner.

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Jonny,
    Have cooked on an Egg for 20 years. Had one of the fire brick models for years until it broke, they would break if overheated, bought one of the ceramic models when they first came out and never looked back. Other than a gasket and a hinge have had no trouble to speak of.
    Mark