Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked Potato

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to cook a baked potato on the BGE? Do you use foil and poke it with a fork?

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Thurmann,
    Some foil, I do not. I poke it, rub with oil and a light sprinkle of kosher salt then set them around the edge of the egg @ approx. 400 check in about an hour.

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Thurmann,
    No foil. Grease and poke with fork. 350 deg for 1 hr direct on raised grid along with spachcocked chicken.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Thurmann,[p]How do yo0u cook in in your oven? You can treat the Egg as if it were your oven. Cook everything the same way at the same temperature. The easiest rule of thumb we have. Try it both ways and see what happens. Good luck.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Thurmann,
    Wrapping a potato in foil and then cooking it steams the potato. If that is what you like, go for it. I usually take my small Egg up to 400, put a pizza stone on a raised grid and then bake potatos for an hour. I rub the spuds with olive oil and then sprinkle with kosher salt and ground pepper before baking. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN1454.jpg
    <p />Thurmann,
    I just put butter salt and pepper on them and bake away. Test with a fork.
    Ross

• LolaNuggs
    Options
    Thurmann,
    Stick a metal skewer through it. The metal heats up and heats the potato from with-in, as well as cooking from the outside.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    IMG_1155.jpg
    <p />LolaNuggs,
    I use these 3.25" aluminum baking nails for even heat distribution.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    6a763a98.jpg
    <p />Thurmann,[p]I use my taterstickermajig[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Thurmann,
    DSCN0276.jpg
    bake them for an hour or so at 375 split them open pull tater from skin carefully and mash add sour cream pulled pork butter put back into the skins top with cheese put back on egg for 30 min @375.. [p]best daym tater you ever eat!! [p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    twbked.jpg
    <p />BENTE,
    You can put all kinds of goodies in them. I go with egg, milk, scallions, bacon bits, mayo and cheese as you please.[p]Mike

• BENTE
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    scallions next time it is..[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Thurmann,
    I poke mine all over with a fork.Rub with evoo.Then rub kosher salt all over then bake till the skin is crispy.Usually 60/90 minutes at 350.But then if you twice bake that with cheese,look out.

• BENTE,
    then shallots next time...

• BENTE
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    yea shallots!!![p]when i made those i was filling them and was saying to myself i need chives but you and mike have better ideas than i do..[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Thurmann,
    I don't foil em, I don't poke em, just coat with EEVO, and cook either direct on raised grid, or indirect depending on whatever else is cooking at the time. Temp at 350º to 400º for about 60-75 min. Turn every so often. We eat the skins, so a little smoke flavor is a good thing.
    Mike