Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

searing

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to sear a steak, specifically a fillet.
Also, what would be the best sauce to marinade in?
Thanks for everyone's opinion.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    rookie,
    Searing is simply getting Mr. Egg up to 700º +, opening the dome and slapping on your steak for 1 or two minutes (depending on the thickness of the steak) on on each side. Then (depending again on the thickness) closing the bottom draft and putting on the cap and "dwelling" the piece of meat to its desired finish. Did a half inch thick rump steak last night 1000º+ one minuet on each side two minuet dwell and it was perfect. Nice grille marks and a nice pink going to red interior. Most times people like to sear to get a crispy(?) exterior and have the inside red and hot. Have your steaks cut at least one inch to really enjoy them.
    Hope this helps.

• char buddy
    Options
    Sundown,[p]When I was rookie I took everything literary. So for me you'd have had to say the following:[p]"Searing is simply getting Mr. Egg up to 700º +, opening the dome, slapping on your steak and 'closing the dome.' Cook for 1 or two minutes (depending on the thickness of the steak) on each side. Then (depending again on the thickness) closing the bottom draft and putting on the cap and "dwelling" the piece of meat to its desired finish. Did a half inch thick rump steak last night 1000º+"[p]Hope his helps. Gonna do steaks tonight.[p]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    rookie,
    Sundown took care of answering the part about searing but you also asked about a marinade. Personally, if you've got a nice fillet it doesn't require any marinade or special seasoning. Don't disguise the true flavor of the meat.
    Good eating.

• rookie,[p]Forget the marinade, but a dry rub like Peppercorn char-crust adds a great flavor to the crispy outside while leaving the insides alone.

• Smokin' Todd
    Options
    rookie,
    just simple black pepper and kosher salt are the best seasoning for a good steak.
    ST

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    char buddy ,[p]Good points. I've noticed that at insanity temps and in the fast times required to cook at those temps, there's no time to be precise. Sometimes, I get the Egg up to 1000+ but after opening the lid and flipping, the temp never gets higher than 750. Should I then sear for a shorter time? Should I somehow hope it gets back up to 1000? At these insane temps, it's hard to make a science out of it (as much as I would like to...).[p]Anyway, I agree to use the time/temp estimates as a rule of thumb and learn, through experience, to go by look and feel.[p]Also, I agree with ST - kosher salt and fresh ground pepper are really all you need. I also adore Montreal Steak seasoning (only on steak, though. I find it overpowering on burgers for some strange and nonsensical reason). Also, some of the crazy folks on this forum like R&J and Spin have turned me onto drawn butter on steak. I never thought I'd see the day where I added clarified freakin' butter to steaks. But I have. And it's a glorious day![p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    Options
    rookie,
    A method which originated with CWoody envolves rubbing your 1" to 1 1/2" steaks thoroughly with olive oil, wrapping tightly in saran wrap and refrgerating for up to a week, then apply kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Sear. I have had really good results. Adding clarified butter during the latter part of the dwell adds a nice touch.

• Sippi,[p]"Olive oil and refrigerate in Saran wrap for a week"??? Help me out here: what possible good would that do that applying a little oil (plus salt and peppper) right before Egging would NOT do?[p]Thanks.[p]Hal