Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef tenderloin

Options
Schneid
Schneid Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Purchased a sweet looking whole beef tenderloin this eve for tomorrow---a birthday meal for my wife. Did not find much in the recipe sections for advice for this nice piece of meat. It is 6.5 pounds---far too much for wife, 3 y old daughter and I---so am considering cutting it in half, vacusealing some for another occasion and getting other half ready for tomorrow's celebration. Questions surround this evening's rub/marinade and tomorrow's cook specifics. Any help would be loved.
This meal is a birthday celebration in addition to a pride celebration: my wife is a flight attendant who works last 2 weeks of the month and bravely went back to work 19 Sep---her actual birthday. Tough day. I am proud of her and our Nation. She wears her Delta uniform as proudly as I wear my USAF blue. She did her job as scheduled, as will I---and certainly we all will.
Thanks for the advice in advance!

Comments

• Sandi
    Sandi Posts: 107
    Options
    Schneid,

Read your post, as I do all, for pointers, tips, etc. Happy Birtherday to your wife! I have a very sweet little girl in my possession that turned ONE yesterday! So...from hee on out, I will always think of your wife on Sept. 19![p]God Bless you, your wife and family and everyone in this great nation!

• Sandi
    Sandi Posts: 107
    Options
    Schneid,[p]P.S., as you can see, between work AND the ONE YEAR OLD, I am so tired, I can't type for crap!
  • Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Beef.jpg
    <p />Schneid,[p]Did one last weekend, so I'll pitch in on this one.[p]Set up the Egg for a direct cook. Temperature should be 400°. [p]Trim off the train, if still there, retaining it for future use. Trim tenderloin to a uniform diameter. In my case I just cut off the head since it wasn't completely thawed and save for future use. If you keep the head attached, trim off the fat that connects head to the rest of the tenderloin. Don't forget to remove the silverskin. Partially cut through the tail (judge how high up from the tail to make for a uniform diameter), fold up the tail and tie with butcher's string. You're shooting for a cylindrical shape of uniform thickness.[p]Place tenderloin on a plate or baking sheet and drizzle with plenty of olive oil (Tenderloin is lean so don't scrimp on the oil) and season to taste with salt, pepper, herbs,garlic, whatever.[p]Grill tenderloin, turning every 6 minutes or so for about 30 minutes. Internal temp should be about 145° for medium rare. I like my meat "doner" so I went 45 minutes but probably should have gone a bit longer.[p]Left over suggestions:[p]The parts I trimmed off were cubed, browned in a skillet with onions, transferred to a crockpot with the following:
    1 can Cream of Mushroom soup.
    1 can sliced mushrooms
    1/2 can water[p]Cook on low all day, serve with flat noodles[p]Left over tenderloin itself was both sliced and reheated in stove or shredded and used in fajitas.[p]Happy Birthday to "She Who Must Be Obeyed"![p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Trout Bum
    Options
    Schneid,
    I hope this isn't to late. See the link below, I just posted it.
    This is one my family's favorite recipes. We serve it quite often for holiday diners. If it's a large crowd we cook 2 or 3 of them.
    If you try it let me know what you think.
    B D

[ul][li]Stuffed Tenderloin[/ul]