Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

15 Pounds of Butt and NEW slaw recipe

Options
Bama Fire
Bama Fire Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings everyone! It's been a long time since I've been on the forum with any good excuse. It's GREAT to be back![p]Yes, it's football season again which means much activity for the Green Boy on the deck. Right now I have a 15 pounds of butt soaking up some yellow mustard and rub. It'll hit the coals Friday night and should be ready by halftime on Saturday. The wife is whipping up a new slaw recipe which I'll post below -- IT'S DELICIOUS (I'm not sure where this comes from, but we can't take credit for it). Homemade Q-sauce, cold beer and an Alabama victory should make for a nice weekend.[p]Roll tide![p]B~F[p]Slaw:
2 (3 oz.) packages of Ramen noodles (beef flavor)
2 (10oz) packages of Angel Hair Cabbage Slaw
1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds1 bunch of green onions[p]Dressing:
1/2 cup sugar
flavor packets from noodles
1/2 cup peanut oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar[p]In a bowl, layer on top of each other:
crunch noodles and place in bottom of the bowl
cabbage
nuts
chopped onions[p]mix up dressing and pour over the top and refrigerate overnight[p]toss before serving

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Bama Fire,[p]Great looking slaw recipe!!! thanx[p]K~G

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Bama Fire, Not sure if this is the actual source for that slaw recipe, but I do have a similar recipe and here's the source:
    Back probably 10 years ago, the TV Guide posted recipes from 'celebrities' in the front section. They still do, at least here in Canada, but with Canadian celebrities, whereas you guys probably get US stars. Well, there was a recipe posted about 10 yrs ago from then-Blue Jays catcher (now the manager!), Buck Martinez. The recipe was similar, except it used sesame seeds in place of sunflower. The Ramen noodles weren't broken, but rather cooked to 'el dente' then flash cooled under cold running water. Shredded cabbage added, the meat of choice*, then oil and vinegar, the sesame seeds, green onion, the flavour packets from the noodles, salt, pepper, toss and giddy-up!! It was a coincidence that the recipe came from Buck Martinez, as my dad's nickname for me as a kid was also 'Buck'. Around our family, when there is a gathering, I often get asked to make "Buck Salad"!
    *- you mentioned beef flavour noodles. The twist we have made has been to provide variety to the salad by using the different flavours available and using the appropriate meat to match, i.e. chicken noodles = added cold grilled chicken breast, pork noodles = cold slices of grilled tenderloin, shrimp noodles gets a handfull of shrimp etc etc Give it a try!
    Qfan