Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Direct Butt

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried something different yesterday. I cooked a boston butt direct with very good results. I kept this cook pretty simple. I used a butt about 5 lbs and rubbed it with salt and pepper. I put it on direct at 250 with some hickory chips. I turned it over after an hour and kept turning it every half hour or so. After the first two hours I also sprayed it with and apple cider/vinegar mixture when I turned it.[p]After about six hours, it was starting to separate from the bone. I took it off and let it rest a few minutes. The bone easily canme out and I used a cleaver to chop up some big chunks into smaller pieces. Hardly any internal fat was left. I had some good sandwiches for dinner.[p]Was this pulled pork? No. Was it barbecue? I'm not sure. Was it very good, smokey pork? Hell yes![p]Next time I try this I might marinade the butt first. I recommend trying this if you want something different that you don't need to cook overnight.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    That's the way I learned to BBQ, direct and a mop every 30 minutes and turn every hour. -RP

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]"Was this pulled pork? No.
    Was it barbecue? I'm not sure.
    Was it very good, smokey pork? Hell yes!"[p]Darn, I never knew Donald Rumsfeld was masquerading as an Egger.[p]Welcome, Donald.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    EarlyBBQ.jpg
    <p />BluesnBBQ,[p]I've seen this corny picture a thousand times in all kinds of books and magazine articles, but it does tell a story.[p]What you did is barbecue in it's oldest form, and a favorite technique of mine. Given enough distance from the coals, you can cook anything this way.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BluesnBBQ
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Next time I have a part, that's what I want to cook! :)
  • BluesnBBQ,
    You said you kept it simple? Sounds like you were actually pretty busy tending to the meat. I usually go indirect with drip pan in a v-rack. The set it and forget it seems more simple to me. Cook while you sleep--what could be easier? I agree with you-as everything that comes of the egg is tasty.

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    JetJock,[p]I meant simple as in no fancy rub, no indirect setup, no waking up a 2-3 times in the night to make sure the temp is still constant (what I usually do when I cook overnight).[p]I prefer to do pulled pork overnight (and that's how I'm doing it next week when I have some family over for barbecie), but this is a good alternative.
  • thirdeye, I think I'll kindly pass on everything but the fish, thank you. [p]Rascal

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    clearl.jpg
    <p />Rascal,[p]Those lizards taste like chicken, notice the resemblence in their feet. LOL[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery