Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heating the BGE for Pizza

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having trouble sustaining a 650 degree plus temperature for 45 minutes, which is recommended for preheating the pizza stone prior to baking. By the time I get the temp up and wait the recommended time, the coals are spent, and the temp starts to fall just when I want to begin! I tried more charcoal but only proceeded to burn the gasket. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    pizza.jpg
    <p />SteveinSpokane,
    In my experience as long as you put the pizza stone in right after you light the coals, it will be up to temp as soon as the thermometer says so. Just wait for the white smoke to clear and your pizza will be done in a few minutes.[p]Good luck!

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    SteveinSpokane,
    First off, 550 degrees is pizza temp; 650 is too high. Put plate setter in legs down. Put spacer between plate setter and pizza stone. That will elevate stone above gasket level. Fill firebox with lump. Light lump and immediately put all the ceramic mass in Egg. When temp hits 550 wait about 20 min for everything to get that hot.[p]You are not putting enough lump in if it is gone in 45 min.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    SteveinSpokane,
    if you are consuming all your lump in 45 minutes at 650 degrees then you are not putting in enough lump to began with. Don't believe that 2 or 3 handful crap. Fill up to a least the bottom of the firering and then some more. No harm no waste because you'll snuff the fire and reuse what's left. OTOH 650 for pizza is kinda hot - are you sure you want that hot? I have found 500 works fine for me. Good luck.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    SteveinSpokane,
    Personally, I would not get over 450 to 500 to cook a pizza. That is all the heat you need. Actually, 400 will do just fine and not burn the bottom of the pizza and not scortch the gasket.
    Just my opinion.[p]MC Jerry

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,[p]Uhh...650 too high...Not really ...most pizza is cooked at 800 deg..or more...[p]I cook mine on the egg bottom vent wide open and no daisy wheel...[p]I load the lump past the fire box about half way up the ring..then go from there...[p]I can cook 6 pizzas very easy doing this..and it only takes around 4 1/2 mins each [p]A true neapolitan pizza is cooked at around 1200 deg..
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]The reason pizza is cooked at 800 deg and higher is because you are trying to quick bake the crust..This will allow the yeast to expand quickly and the crust to form keeping the steam on the inside of the dough allowing it to keep the dough soft.....[p]The reason people at home cook pizzas at 500 or less is home ovens don't go over 500deg ..600+ is the cleaning cycle.
  • SpokaneMan
    Options
    Listen to iceman on the temp. If you are going for neapolitan, you need high temps and he's one of the pizza experts on this forum.[p]I had mine at 740 for well over an hour Thursday night without any temp loss and there is still plenty of lump left over.[p]As others have said, you probably aren't using enough lump. Spokane isn't the place to find high quality lump so it could be your brand. I use a good layer of Kingsford and then top it with Cowboy. The Kingsford is pretty dense and seems to burn longer and hotter. The problem is that it sparks a lot so that's why I top it with Cowboy.[p]What do you use? Do you know of anyplace around here that has other brands? I don't want to pay $21 for BGE downtown.[p]Where are you in Spokane? I thought I was alone.