Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you get the fire roaring on a medium egg?

db
db Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been having a little trouble since I've gotten my egg. I use the wax/sawdust fire staters in three parts on the egg and in about 15 mins or less the fire is at 200 and barely climbs. I've got this thing to about 400 max only once and I'm getting a little frusrated as to how to light this baby up! Any help would be reatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    D.B.,
    my first response would be to make sure your lower grate is clear of old ash...stir it up or shake it up or whatever...you should EASILY be able to get 750°..you need air flow to make heat...[p]Wess

• BillB
    BillB Posts: 26
    D.B.,
    Is the vent for the firebox aligned with the exterior adjustable vent? (just a thought)
    Bill

• Pug
    Pug Posts: 57
    D.B.,
    Do what the other folks have said. May sure everything is in line and make sure the holes are not clogged up. I have a medium and use the same method as you to start. Something that helped me is to throw the BGE manual away and go to Tim M.'s website as found under the links on the forum and follow his advice.[p]Some other things to try. Make sure that you have dry lump, let the lump catch fire for a longer period of time before you shut the lid to regulate, and don't fill the egg all the way full with lump.[p]Good Lump, I mean good luck![p]Steve

• Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    D.B., Upon dismantling and cleaning my large, I failed to line the firebox and bottom vent as close to center as possible. As BillB suggested, be sure you come as close to center as possible. Offcenter to any degree will cause a problem.
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    D.B.,[p]Double check to make sure you have dry lump. Makes a big difference. How do you store your lump?[p]Mick

• D.B., [p]I had the same problem when I first used my medium egg. I solved it by buying an electric coal starter. They have them on the Gree Egg web site. It has made grilling a whole lot easier. Also, after about six or seven uses I pull everything out of the egg and clean out all the ashes on the bottom. Sometimes they get on the sides and constrict the air flow.

• D.B., I'll assume you have checked the calibration accuracy of your thermometer - if not do that first. Secondly the way that always works for me when I am wanting to nuke I push a Weber cube (just one is needed) in at the bottom vent opening, light it and then push it to the center. This causes an updraft and your fire starts from the bottom. It consumes more lump perhaps, but hey that is what nuke temps do and this method gets you up there the quickest. Remember this little sing-song: Going low light on high, going high light below.
    Ok ok, so it's not a top 10 song, but the method works every time for me! ^oo^~