Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp at 300 wont drop for my Butts Help

Options
Bushgator
Bushgator Posts: 112
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put these 2 buts on last night about 12:00 and had them stable at 1.00 this morning at 225 draft was shut just about size of credit card and same with the daisy wheel holes 2 beers in the drip pan below
went to bed and temp went to 300 and meat is at 145
mt concern it will be dry what can I do to get the temp to fall a little or do you think it will be fine as long as it dont go over 300 which it has not, I just dont know what time of the night or how long its been there,
There is however a small gap which I will have to fix the upper and lower lid band again to keep the smoke from leaking out on the right side from back to front, I dont imagine you can do this while its heated? Thanks for the help

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Bushgator,
    Stuff some aluminum foil in the gap. The egg will slowly drop down in temp, just needs time.
    Your fine, the part that should have 250 dome is the start of the plateau of the cook, around 165 internal.

• Bushgator
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Thanks we are already at 185 right now is that we are already past it or do you think it is still to come?

• GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    Bushgator,
    On my first butt, the temp kept creeping to 300 in the beginning... so I put a few ice cubes on the grill grate (not a huge deal since it was over the drip pan) and that cooled it to where I was able to stabilize at 240...

• Clay Q
    Options
    Bushgator,
    Oh-oh. Depends....did you see a stall with internal temps, say around 170 or 175, where it just sits there?

• Bushgator
    Options
    ClayQ,
    we went up to target and bought 2 new temps cause the temp was at 172 this am when we woke up to check so we are not sure but we are getting accurate readinds now and there climbing 187 and the other is climbing at 190

• Clay Q
    Options
    bushgator,
    Without knowing, you might have gotten into the plateau long enough to be able to pull the pork, on the other hand it's likely the meat shot through the plateau and what you'll have is delicious chopped pork samitches. When you hit 195-200 internal foil and rest in a cooler to keep hot for a couple of hours or three. Then open up and check for pullability.
    Good luck.