Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size BGE do I buy!!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've grilled most of my life, my Weber's been great but limited plus they just aren't lasting as long as they used too. I've read up on the BGE, web sight, distributer, etc. I have a family of four and 18" dia. just looks to small to do chicken, steaks, etc.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Kevin J. Emmett,[p]
    Get a large one!![p]Tim

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Kevin J. Emmett,[p] I routinely cook for twice that many on my large BGE. How many steaks do you four eat at one sitting :-) ? I can easily fit 24 pounds of pork roast on there, and two whole chickens at once isn't a problem. The last two Thanksivings, my BGE has accomodated a 22-25# bird. I fit almost two dozen bratwurts on there for a volleyball tournament a month ago.[p]
    Bottom line is that for most of you cooking, you'll have plenty of space. For those ocasions when you've got lots of company, you just have to plan a little better. The versatility and superior cooking that a BGE will give you will more than make up for the loss of grid space.[p]MikeO

• Jim Benenson
    Options
    Kevin J. Emmett,[p]I have a medium BGE (15" grill) that I routinely use to cook for four people. I used to cook on a Weber kettle years ago and found that I never really used all the 18". If you really need that size then go for it, but...[p]1) The large is considerably more expensive than the medium.
    2) It uses more fuel each time you fire it up.
    3) Because it is a larger chamber, it takes longer to heat up to cook temperature and more fuel to maintain that temperature.
    4) The smaller the chamber, the more benefits you get from this type of cooker.[p]Jim

• Big Murth
    Options
    Kevin J. Emmett,
    Last night got rave reviews doing a high heat sear/cook and dwell of 16 lamb chops, simply seasoned with Charcrust's Garlic Peppercorn rub and a spritz of olio d' oliva on the Large Egg. If you only have one cooker, get the Large. When you hit the Lotto or Powerball, you can get the other 3 too! Big Murth

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Zen Cooker #1,[p]I also have a medium and love it! I also hava a mini (great for travel ... fits in the overhead bin on most airplanes ... O.K., that may be an exageration!). [p]I think the medium is perfect for most cooks, but a large is on the wish list![p]Smokey
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Kevin J. Emmett,
    I started witha large which I have owned for about 5 months..and I love it..however last week I purchased a small as I was firing up that large eggto 700° to cook 2 steaks..and it just seemed like such a waste..with the small I use so much less lump..dont get me wrong..I still use the large..but for the little stuff it`s more practical to use the small...things like boston butts,ribs,pizza...are all best left to the large..I have no first hand eggsperience with the medium...hope this helps..[p]Wess

• FrankG
    Options
    Kevin J. Emmett,large,large,large

• Trout Bum
    Options
    Kevin J. Emmett,
    The large, it's the only way to go for your 1st one.
    B D

• BillB
    BillB Posts: 26
    Options
    Kevin J. Emmett,
    I have a wife and two grown college kids-get the large.I love grilled chicken on my egg and the large is just barely big enough to do enough for the four of us. I love leftover grilled chicken by the way and want a few pieces leftover. For anything else it's no problem at all.For steaks, chops, or any indirect type cook (ie, ribs, pork butt, turkey, etc; there is no problem.
    Bill

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Kevin J. Emmett,
    Like most others, I say the large. The cost difference between a medium and large isn't that great. I considered a medium but decided if I was going to invest that much in one grill, might as well go a little deeper and get the one with the most options. Yes, you'll use a little more charcoal but if you routinely cook for 4, you'll need the space.
    Enjoy...and welcome!

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Kevin J. Emmett,
    I "came in" from a Brinkmann SNP and I'm with you: that 18" looked awful small! That is, till I put 35# of butts on it. I'm cooking for two, and went out and bought a small to maximize grill area when I do burgers or steaks or... The large won't do you wrong.

• Citizen Q
    Options
    Kevin J. Emmett,
    Go for the large, almost all of the posts I've read from multi-eggers here recommend starting with the large first, then expanding your collection from there. I think that the most obvious point being missed here though, is that on a Weber or a gas grill, you are constantly turning and moving stuff around to watch for the hot spots. With the Egg you don't have to worry about hot spots when using as a grill, if it gets too hot in there, just shut her down and let the meat "dwell". Add to this the versatility of the large and you've got a winner.

• Kevin J. Emmett,[p]I first bought a LGE and then a SGE. For the two of us, the SGE is fine in most situations, plus I can put it in the back of the Subaru for beach trips. For entertaining any more than four, I'd say the LGE the way to go. It certainly gives you more flexibilty to do more than one butt, a big bird, or enough ribs to feed a crowd. When I make BBQ, it's almost a no brainer to go ahead and put two butts on, given the time and effort involved. With the LGE, there is room for this. I suppose it just boils down to how many you're trying to feed. IMHO, you should consider this as a life time investment. If I were to own only one egg, it would be the LGE. [p]Go Heels!!!
  • Kevin J. Emmett,

Mini's rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!