Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Learning the small Egg

WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There certainly seems to be a noticeable difference cooking on a small egg after learning on a large ( all though I have only approx. 5 mos. on the large ) I have done 3 cooks on the small..mostly steaks..and it seems that as close as things are to the coals on the small makes you run shorter times for flipping..I did some 1 1/4" porterhouse tonight and was flipping at between 2-3 min. intervals..did that maybe 4 times...they came out great.. my last cook was some 1" strips..and at 4 mins on the first side came out rather charred..NOT burnt..but a definate char..they were very good also but it was an eye opening experience.....not expecting a lot of response..just making an observation for others to learn from...I love this small but am learning it takes a different mind set than the large..my $.02[p]Wess

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    WessB,
    I have found that at the standard grate level (top of the fire ring), a 550 fire is similar to a 700 fire in the large. Add some spacers and get the cooking grate to the level of the lower gasket, and it cooks more like the large. Mainly the difference between cooking 3-5 inches from the coals compared to 6-9 inches on the large. The distance form the fire is the main factor here.[p]I got some killer sea bass in the freezer that I am prepped to cook up for you when you get out here. I am ready anytime for lunch![p]Howdy to Sally
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the invite...Sally says we`ll see soon...boating season aint quite over yet...and thanks for the tips on the small.....think I would rather learn to compensate for the differences..as being close to the coals definetaly can give her a rare steak that is still charred on the outside..and mine which I prefer more on the well side just need to be flipped more often...its all good either way...hope all is well on the home front..enjoy Eggtoberfest and your hiking adventures..[p]Wess & Sally

• Nature Boy,[p]Strange that you should mention 550 degrees on the small. I have just done my first three hi-temp cooks on the small (have never done one on the large), and I could not get above 550 degrees. Started with a clean egg, fill with fresh lump almost to top, used firestarter with dome open until charcoals were burning, left bottom vent wide open and no daisy wheel. Should I use less lump? or allow to burn longer and eventually reach higher temp? Thanks.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    PRobinson,
    I have found that large loads of lump take quite some time to get to the turbo range. When grillling on the small, I usually don't fill much past the airholes. Try less lump and you should see much faster heating times....yet too little lump won't do it either.[p]still need to get off my butt and get around to Landover fro some of that Cowboy lump!
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ