Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Temp for Low and Slow

Options
ColoradoCook
ColoradoCook Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In an earlier post today Bluesmoke spoke about dome temps for low and slow:[p]Birdman, That 140º worries me. I think a grill temp of 200 to 225º would serve as well, and reduce the risk of bacteria breeding. (For me here in Denver, 225º at the grill equates to anywhere from 250 to 300º dome temp, depending on outside temps.) [p]
I have a question that relates to this dome temp issue. What do most of you do your low and slow cooks at, like brisket? I do mine around 225* dome, this yields me a 2 1/2 hours per pound. The last 9lb brisket took 22 hours. Is a higher dome temp recommended for low and slow? Keeping it between 250 to 275 seems like it would ensure a grill temp above 200 and knock off a 1/2 hour per pound, do you agree?[p]One other issue, I've done two brisket cooks, in each case my fire pretty much died on me during the night, any advice? I tend to get my egg all warmed up first (1 hour or so), stick on some soaked chunks, and place hunk-o-chest on the Egg. I think this contributes to the amount of ash build up that clogs the holes sooner. Most of the suggestions from this forum says to start a small fire, add meat to cold Egg, and balance temp with meat in.[p]I recently picked up a wireless thermometer that I plan on inserting through the existing hole or at the daisy top. I can then place it by my bed and set the alarm clock to check on it, if it's outside the limits I can go fix the problem.[p]Thanks,[p]CC

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    ColoradoCook,
    A while back there were a couple of posts about starting the fire. The short version is simply, for low and slow start the fire right on the top of the lump. I use those little wax and sawdust thigees. The fire will burn slowly down then out. When I get through a long cook all of the unused lump is always on the outter edge of Mr. Egg. Generally enough to do at least one maybe two steak/shop/burger cooks. You just lay it on the top...that's all.
    Carey

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    ColoradoCook,
    I use the dome temp gauge for two purposes. When grilling, at temps 400 to 700º, I rely on the dome gauge. When doing low and slow, I use it to find "ballpark" temp on the way up - for the actual cooking temp I put a polder probe on the grill (run it through a hole drilled in a block of oak so it doesn't touch the grill - other folks use a potato or a wine cork or...). After that I make my adjustments based on the polder reading. You could do the same with your wireless - just run the lead right over the gasket, and don't let the temp get over 390º. Could just be my paranoia, but I think in cold or windy weather this gives you a better handle on your fire.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    ColoradoCook,
    All the temps you will see referenced here on the forum and in the various recipe sections are ALL based on dome temps...that is the easiest given fact we can all use as a reference..we all have dome thermometers...as far as low and slow...anywhere from 200° to 275° would be considered low and slow..I have done several butts at between 200° and 250° and have had at least one experience with the fire almost completely going out..I attributed that to my lack of experience and the fact that the humidity went up noticeably that evening..it`s important to make sure the ash is cleared before going to bed...I also have a polder type thermometer like you mentioned..and once I`m satisfied the temp is stabilized I will just insert it where the dome thermometer was and set my "low" alarm for around 180° and it will wake you if the temp falls to that setting..but if the grate is clear of ash you should not have any problems holding temp all night.....sorry for being so long winded..hope this helps..I have yet to do a brisket..[p]
    Wess