Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time brisket success

Chipper
Chipper Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried my hand at brisket for the first time yesterday. I started with a 11.5# chunk-o-chest that I picked up at the meat market near work. I'm not sure, but I believe it was a whole brisket with the point and flat. It had about a 1/2" fat cap on it. At about 7:00pm, I rubbed it down with a generous portion of JJ's rub and went outside to start the fire. I used the new-to-me method of starting my fire in a chimney starter, dumping the hot contents of said starter into the empty fire chamber of the egg, putting several chunks of soaked hickory on top of the coals, and filling to the top of the firebox with fresh lump. I put in my inverted plate setter (lined with foil), put my grill on top of the p.s. legs, and layed the guest of honor on the middle of the grill (he stretched from one side of my large egg to the other). By this time large quantities of thick white smoke was billowing out of the egg. The dome gauge read about 125° and was slowly climbing. I kept a close eye on the dome temp and started closing down the vents about 30 minutes later at around 225°. When I went to bed at about 10:00, temp was at a solid 250° with smoke wafting from the daisy top. When I went out to check in the morning at about 07:00, the temp was still at the same 250°. The polder clone read 161° internal. I had originally planned on having this beast for supper, but at that point my tastebuds realized we were going to have brisket for lunch and my mouth started watering big time!
About 12:30 the internal temp read 190° and it passed the fork test, so I pulled it off and tented it in foil for about a half an hour's rest. At that point, I commenced to start the pulling. I started pulling the point(? the part not under the fat cap and with all of the connective tissues.) It pulled rather easy, but still had alot of the connective tissue intact. I then moved to the flat (? the inch thick piece of muscle under the fat cap) which did not appear quite so ready to let me pull it, so I sliced it into 1/2" wide strips across the grain. Judging by my family's reactions, it was an unqualified success. My 9 yr old ate 3 sandwiches. My 2 yr old ate two helpings. Wifey ate two helpings and I ate two sammiches (with JJ's sauce and slaw) and a third helping on the side. By the time that I finally rolled away from the table, I had come to the realization that brisket had jumpped to the top of my 'gotta do it again' list.
Many thanks to all those on this list for your brisket tips. The combination of the Egg and this forum make even new cooks seem simple.[p]God Bless America![p]Chipper

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Chipper,
    You did just fine with it and happy to hear your family enjoyed it so much. That is what makes it worthwhile. Next time you may want to cut the point away from the flat and put it back on for a little longer. The flat is best cut against the grain in slices, as you did, rather than trying to shred it.