Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Onions ON the lump

Options
Kelly Keefe
Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I seem to remember some discussion about putting an onion on the fire and the wonderful flavors it imparts on the meat. I looked through the Archives but couldn't find the thread. Am I remembering this right? And if so, do you just throw an unpeeled onion on the fire?[p]Thanks![p]Kelly

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    Cut a onion in half and throw on the lump...It gives your meat a nice smoke ring and the smell wakes up your neighborhood.
    Larry

• Don F.
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    I remember seeing that some where also, I have done it,
    just slice a couple times and toss in, or whole. Have you tried grape vines that have been dried out?

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Guys:[p]Thanks for the advice. I couldn't remember if I DID read this or if all the drugs in the 60's (which I DIDN'T partake in) had addled my brain.[p]Special note to Don: No, I haven't tried the grape vines but I probably will now. They grow wild around this part of the globe.[p]Beef Tenderloin tonight. I foresee tacos, beef stroganoff from the left overs AND, as a special bonus, part of it didn't thaw in time. Maybe some extra special fajitas looming on the radar??
  • Don F.
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    You did not inhale, right!!!!!

• Citizen Q
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    It's been brought up here a few times but I think it's been dicussed more on the K side, Huck is a huge onion proponent, also garlic cloves. I slice the onions about 1/4" thick so they burn up and I don't have big leftover chunks in there when the fire is out. If you are a pepper fan, try soaking some whole peppercorns with your woodchips and throw those in too. Also try soaking your chips in wine, beer or hard cider, come to think of it, I wonder how a little vinegar would tatse on the wood chips. Anybody?

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    I was in the line at Lowes buying a few things and began discussing Q with a young Mexican man. He told me that his grandpa told him about his secret of throwing the onions on the fire. I'm always open to learning. I gave it a shot. The aroma is fantastic, the taste, well, it's hit and miss depending on the meat and other preparations. No matter what, it's super cheap and it doesn't do any harm. I relate this story for it's historical reference as it pertains to me. I haven't seen that guy lately but I owe him a big "thanks" because I'd never heard of it before anywhere else. [p]I've got to try peppercorns. How many? Should I soak them?

• Citizen Q
    Options
    Huck,
    Pepper to taste, if you like alot then use alot of peppercorns, I usually go for about as many as I can hold in an open palm and soak them with the chips. The onion idea seems to be big in the Portuguese/Spanish communities, since I was a kid I can remember going to Portuguese Festa's and they always had a big open fire pit set up with holders for 5 foot long skewers. You go and buy a pound or two of cubed beef (stew beef I think), soak it in beer and skewer, cover with garlic powder and roast it right over the flames. There were always a group of old men carving up bags of onions with little pocketknives, throwing the slices onto the fire. My pal Emilio's dad is the Pig Roast Master of Ceremonies in their Peurto Rican community and he's always done it that way since he learned from his father.

• YB,
    WHAT KIND OF MEAT ARE WE TALKING ABOUT ?????

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    JFOL,
    I have cooked chicken,turkey and pork with a onion in the lump,it really smells good.
    Larry