Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast

Enok
Enok Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried my first roast on the egg. It was rubbed the night before and slow cooked at 200-220 for four hours. I then removed it, added ro-tel etc. wrapped in a foil tent. Returned it to the egg for three more hours till the internal temp. was 165.[p]When finally removed, after resting foe about 15 min. we ate it. The silly thing was very good but somewhat tough. [p]Did I do something wrong?[p]PS. I had placed it in the v-rack without a drip pan.[p]Enok

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    enok,
    Old saying. "If it's tough cook it a little longer" I believe that belongs to DRbbq.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    enok,[p]Wrong cut of meat. Something that lean won't get much benefit from long cooking. [p]Tim
  • enok,[p]I'd say 190 internal is the right temperature at which to pull a chuck roast. And I like to use a drip pan over firebricks when I'm cooking low and slow because they keep a tough, burnt crust from forming on the bottom (although you might have avoided that by placing the roast in foil after your first four hours).[p]A good chuck roast can also be cooked to medium-rare with good results by cooking at 250 degrees until it reaches 110 internal (you can sear it in a pan first, if you like, before putting it on the grill), then increasing the Egg or oven temperature to 450 for 15 minutes (for a 3 1/2 pound roast). Then let the roast sit out of the oven, covered in foil, for 15 to 30 minutes before slicing.[p]Cheers,[p]David

• Enok
    Enok Posts: 15
    davidm,
    thanks for the info. I'lltry that next time. enok