Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Olive Oil/Napkin Lighting method

GirlyEgg
GirlyEgg Posts: 622
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay.. newbie question, but I saw the post below (MAPP vs. Propane) referencing this method, but want to make sure I get it right, so please bear with me if these questions seem silly... [p]1. What kind of napkin? Dinner napkin or paper towel?
2. Scrunch into ball, drizzle and then "teepee" over and light?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    GirlyEgg,
    ask and ye shall receive.[p]i know i sound like a broken record... but fifteen minutes later, i'm at 700+ easily. use three if you want to get there quicker.[p]01.jpg[p]02.jpg[p]03.jpg[p]04.jpg[p]05.jpg[p]06.jpg

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,
    don't douse it with oil. just a drizzle. not soaking wet...
    just to keep the paper from smoldering and going out.

• GirlyEgg,
    Let's see if I can answer this before stike (master of the oiled napkin starter) responds...[p]Use a paper towel (that's what I use) or a napkin. The cheap napkins work fine but use a dinner napkin if you prefer (not cloth!). Drizzle a little oil, maybe a couple of teaspoons of any cooking oil on that. Loosly crumple it and wiggle it into your lump. Light. You get a little smoke but it burns long and hot enough to get the lump going.[p]Paul

• stike
    Essex County,
    ha!

• GirlyEgg,
    Honestly I have tried the paper towel method and it does work. I have also tried Mapp as well. However I myself just use Big Green Eggs Fire Lites. All it consists of is sawdust and parifin wax. It lights up very quick and you don't have to do anything with a napkin or oil. There are 24 in a box so for $5 or so you can light your egg every day for almost a month.

• i almost forgot....,
    Being the refined gentleman that I assume you are you probably use EVOO when company is coming?

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Garlic and herb infused of course!
    :)

• stike
    Morro Bay Rich,
    i use it because that's what's right within reach. hahaha[p]but i don't use high octane fuel for the car. so it cancels out.

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    jeffybeer,
    Duh.How much can twenty four paper towels cost.Or for that matter I have used the cardboard egg crate cartons that your eggs come in so the cost of the paper is free.

• Darnoc,
    Wow you are a really good penny pincher. Good Luck with that. However I am just going to use a very low cost and very easy method. It is just 5 bucks a month if I grill almost every day.

• stike
    jeffybeer,
    ...not if you use three at a time it don't....
    hahaha[p]trust me, you'll forget to refill the starters someday and you'll be out there thinking "cr^p. i guess i'll try that stoopid paper napkin gag".[p]and that $5 bucks will go into the beer budget from then on.

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Darnoc,
    You don't even have to use a new paper towel. I don't use this method but you could just leave a use paper towel (depending on what you used it for first) on the counter and then use that when you needed it.[p]I use the little sawdust parrafin things but I break them up into pieces. One box lasts a whole summer. LOL Just kidding. But it does last a long time.[p]Gwen[p]

• stike,
    I guess I do have an advantage since I sell the Fire Lites. So it is really easy for me to get new ones at a discounted price. But I only use one at a time ,that is all that is needed. I have however tried the napkin trick and though slower than the fire lite it does work.

• jeffybeer,
    However I do love your attitude on the beer fund.

• ChefDave
    ChefDave Posts: 142
    jeffybeer,
    Eight years ago I went to an auction during the time I was there I bid on and won two cases of the fire-starters we are talking about. The great thing about it was that I only paid 7-8$ for the two cases. I still have some many left an duse them all the time. I find that if you have a good air flow that the draft will blow them out.

• Jeeves,[p]It works better if you add in just a wee bit-'o Portugese Balsamic...[p]
  • stike,[p]"cr^p. i guess i'll try that stoopid paper napkin gag".[p]Very insightful. That's exactly what I said a few months back and I haven't bought any fire starters since. [p]But the beer budget doesn't get much of a boost when the only oil in the house is designer-label Extra Virgin Olive Oil!
  • duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    dimplesmom,
    It seems a shame to use evoo on a used paper towel, I would go with peanut oil on that and save the evoo for new paper napkins.[p]Do not use used toilet paper!

• stike
    An Egg Downunder,
    hahaha[p]