Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Olive Oil/Napkin Lighting method

GirlyEggGirlyEgg Posts: 622
edited 7:13PM in EggHead Forum
Okay.. newbie question, but I saw the post below (MAPP vs. Propane) referencing this method, but want to make sure I get it right, so please bear with me if these questions seem silly... [p]1. What kind of napkin? Dinner napkin or paper towel?
2. Scrunch into ball, drizzle and then "teepee" over and light?[p]Thanks!

·

Comments

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    GirlyEgg,
    ask and ye shall receive.[p]i know i sound like a broken record... but fifteen minutes later, i'm at 700+ easily. use three if you want to get there quicker.[p]01.jpg[p]02.jpg[p]03.jpg[p]04.jpg[p]05.jpg[p]06.jpg

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • stike,
    don't douse it with oil. just a drizzle. not soaking wet...
    just to keep the paper from smoldering and going out.

·
  • GirlyEgg,
    Let's see if I can answer this before stike (master of the oiled napkin starter) responds...[p]Use a paper towel (that's what I use) or a napkin. The cheap napkins work fine but use a dinner napkin if you prefer (not cloth!). Drizzle a little oil, maybe a couple of teaspoons of any cooking oil on that. Loosly crumple it and wiggle it into your lump. Light. You get a little smoke but it burns long and hot enough to get the lump going.[p]Paul

·
    Essex County,
    ha!

·
  • GirlyEgg,
    Honestly I have tried the paper towel method and it does work. I have also tried Mapp as well. However I myself just use Big Green Eggs Fire Lites. All it consists of is sawdust and parifin wax. It lights up very quick and you don't have to do anything with a napkin or oil. There are 24 in a box so for $5 or so you can light your egg every day for almost a month.

·
  • i almost forgot....,
    Being the refined gentleman that I assume you are you probably use EVOO when company is coming?

·
  • JeevesJeeves Posts: 461
    Garlic and herb infused of course!
    :)

·
    Morro Bay Rich,
    i use it because that's what's right within reach. hahaha[p]but i don't use high octane fuel for the car. so it cancels out.

·
  • DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
    jeffybeer,
    Duh.How much can twenty four paper towels cost.Or for that matter I have used the cardboard egg crate cartons that your eggs come in so the cost of the paper is free.

·
  • Darnoc,
    Wow you are a really good penny pincher. Good Luck with that. However I am just going to use a very low cost and very easy method. It is just 5 bucks a month if I grill almost every day.

·
    jeffybeer,
    ...not if you use three at a time it don't....
    hahaha[p]trust me, you'll forget to refill the starters someday and you'll be out there thinking "cr^p. i guess i'll try that stoopid paper napkin gag".[p]and that $5 bucks will go into the beer budget from then on.

·
  • Dimple's MomDimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Darnoc,
    You don't even have to use a new paper towel. I don't use this method but you could just leave a use paper towel (depending on what you used it for first) on the counter and then use that when you needed it.[p]I use the little sawdust parrafin things but I break them up into pieces. One box lasts a whole summer. LOL Just kidding. But it does last a long time.[p]Gwen[p]

·
  • stike,
    I guess I do have an advantage since I sell the Fire Lites. So it is really easy for me to get new ones at a discounted price. But I only use one at a time ,that is all that is needed. I have however tried the napkin trick and though slower than the fire lite it does work.

·
  • jeffybeer,
    However I do love your attitude on the beer fund.

·
  • ChefDaveChefDave Posts: 142
    jeffybeer,
    Eight years ago I went to an auction during the time I was there I bid on and won two cases of the fire-starters we are talking about. The great thing about it was that I only paid 7-8$ for the two cases. I still have some many left an duse them all the time. I find that if you have a good air flow that the draft will blow them out.

·
  • Jeeves,[p]It works better if you add in just a wee bit-'o Portugese Balsamic...[p]
    ·
  • stike,[p]"cr^p. i guess i'll try that stoopid paper napkin gag".[p]Very insightful. That's exactly what I said a few months back and I haven't bought any fire starters since. [p]But the beer budget doesn't get much of a boost when the only oil in the house is designer-label Extra Virgin Olive Oil!
    ·
  • duckeggduckegg Posts: 267
    dimplesmom,
    It seems a shame to use evoo on a used paper towel, I would go with peanut oil on that and save the evoo for new paper napkins.[p]Do not use used toilet paper!

·
    An Egg Downunder,
    hahaha[p]

·