Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size?

Options
gman
gman Posts: 106
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The wife finally says "yes". Now, what size do I get. We grill for 9-12 people often and I am considering the X-large. Does it cook as well as large. Thank you inadvance for eggspert advice.

Comments

• Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    gman,
    large,then a small shortly there after

• gman
    Options
    pdub,
    Thanks for the opinion

• jeffybeer
    Options
    gman,
    I like Pdub's response. Because that is the exact combo that I have. However it is also going to depend on what you are cooking most often. And remember nobody ever said you have to cook everything at one time.

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    gman,
    I vote with pdub .... large followed by small later (my setup). The final $$$ will be essentially the same. The added advantage of this setup is the added versatility. You might find it difficult to sear a steak and cook zucchini followed by peaches on an XL but it is no problem with a large and a small.[p]I just cooked 18 lbs of pork butt on the large and could easily have done twice that amount. I can tell you that is a LOT of pork butt even at the 57% yield I got for the final product; certaily more butt than 12 hungry people will eat.[p]If you cook for 9-12 people with every cook the XL may make sense but the XL will kill you in lump cost if you ever use it for just 2 to 4 people.

• gman
    Options
    jeffybeer,
    good point. Tends to be chicken, ribs, hamburgers for guest and ribs, chicken steak, pork loins for the three in my family

• gman
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,
    Majority of the time it will just be 3 people. Once, maybe twice a year I would consider doing two 12-13lb birds. Pool paries, ~twice a month, are usually hamburgers chicken,or ribs. How many racks of BB ribs can you get on the Large?

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    gman,
    I've seen upwards of 12 here on the Forum. For that many one uses the stainless steel rig made by tjv. I've gotten 8 on the large using the normal grid and the raised grid I usually use for chicken.

• Crawdaddy
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,
    How do you fit 8 slabs on the grid. Are you talking verticle, with a rib rack?

• Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    gman,
    Having the two gives you a lot more options and a greater flexability. I usually cook for two, and for day to day grilling type stuff I usually use the small. I use the large to do low and slow and pizza and baking in the large. I have cook for 20 plus and found that it was perfectly adequate. I put 14 lb of butt and lbs of brisket in the large.

• jeffybeer
    Options
    gman,
    Then I would think you are a great canidate for an XL Egg. Either that or go with a large and than a small or a medium. That way you can get 2 different temps going if you are doing more than one thing at once. Either way you are about to embark on a great new adventure in BBQ.