Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket results

Options
Kevin D
Kevin D Posts: 60
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, the brisket result is in. Tasty, but too dry. I had a 3.5 lb brisket flat. The fat cap had been removed. I substituted slices of bacon for the cap, but even that was pretty lean. It was on at 200*-220* for about 11 hours. I pulled it at 185* internal. Next time, I will buy a full brisket with all fat intact.

Comments

• davidm
    Options
    Kevin D,[p]I've been having my butcher trim the fat to about 1/4 inch, and it's worked out really well the two times I've done it that way.[p]I also can't overstate the importance of having some kind of ceramic mass under the drip pan to keep the bottom from drying out, no matter how much of a fat cap you have on top.[p]My briskets have been cooking at 1 1/4 hours per pound at a dome temp of 220 - 250. They've been really great.[p]Yrs. smoking,[p]David

• Kevin D, Last week I did two 31/2 pounders very well trimmed with very little fat cap. I marinated them for 12hrs in soy sauce & seven up, then amy rub for 8hrs more. I couldn't tame my fire, so 280-350 degrees and 7hrs later they came out great; 195 internal temp, tender and moist. I think I might give in a little on the super low and slow. I think the marinade def helped and the end product was nice with a good yield and not much fat to carve around. Also, the group's advice on wrapping in foil and towels and placing in a cooler is right on. Three hours later, still hot and moist.

• Kevin D
    Options
    Dr. Seuss,[p]I like the marinade idea. I'll give that a try. I estimate that I have had 100 cooks in the 10 months that I have owned the egg. This was only the second disappointment and it wasn't that bad. Thanks for the advice.[p]Kevin

• Kevin D
    Options
    davidm,[p]I used the platesetter for my additional ceramic mass. Stupid me, though. It's the second time I have forgotten to put a drip pan on the plate setter. I'll have to clean that up this a.m. I'm sure I'll get it right the next time...or the time after that...[p]Kevin
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Kevin D,
    One other factor to consider: the final temp. 185 may have been too quick, and 195-200 may have made the difference. We have been successful with briskets from georgetown farms (eatlean.com)which sells very lean beef with fat contents that approach turkey breast.

• Larry Maler
    Options
    Kevin D,
    Here's something out of left field to try. I've used it with deskinned and defatted chicken breast and turkey breast, both of which might otherwise end up dry.[p]Try marinating the meat overnight in cocoanut milk (mixed with any other spices you like). Poke a lot of holes in the meat with a fork to let the coconut milk in. The fat in the coconut milk really leaves meat moist. And the remaining marinade can be boiled down (to about half its former volume) and used as a sauce, either for the meat of for rice/couscous/potato or the starch of your choice.[p]Anyway this worked GREAT with both chicken and turkey breast, and I plan to try it with lamb in the near future.[p]Larry

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Larry Maler,
    Being a nut about lamb, and having eaten all its parts (almost all) in everyway imaginable, I would like to hear the results of your coconut marinade with lamb. Lamb is usually fatty enough - even a prime leg or the tenderloin - that additional fats or oils aren't necessary, except for a different flavor, like olive oil for many Mediterranean flavors. Even in those cuisines the oil really functions as a binder to pull all the other flavors together. Perhaps the coconut would also. Let us know.