Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect Grilling... when?

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a little confused as to when, and what, to cook indirect. Are fire bricks needed? I take it some people use the pizza stones? By using a drip pan, does this not make it indirect grilling? Sorry for the basic questions, but I have to start somewhere.
Also,I am looking to purchase some heat resistant rubber gloves. Ones that would allow me to remove a fully cooked rib roast from the egg to the serving plate. Anyone know where to get some?
Thanks to all.

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Wardster,[p] First the gloves: I have a pair of Neox Hi-Lo gloves that work great. I got mine from Brenton Safety (online) (www.brentonsafety.com), but if you do a search of the various industrial supply places, you might be able to get a better deal. Also, my Katom Restaurant Supply catalog (www.katom.com) has seom really neat looking ones called "Rotissi-Gloves". They are longer (17") than the Neox Hi-Lo (12") and still rated to 350F constant temperature.[p] Indirect cooking: basically, indirect cooking means you aren't cooking directly over the fire. That way you are shielding the food from the flames. A drip pan will do this, but not as well as something with more ceramic mass. Firebricks, pizza stones and my favorite, the plate setter, shield the food better and absorb and hold heat helping keep the temperature in the BGE where you want it. For indirect cooks, I now use the plate setter (upside down) with a drip pan made by lining a Brinkman Smoker basket with foil. the "pan" fits perfectly inside the plate setter![p]MikeO
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Wardster,
    Here is a picture of MikeO with his gloves on..Good job Mike.
    Larry

[ul][li]MikeO pulling pork[/ul]
  • Kevin D
    Options
    Wardster,[p]If I am cooking for less than three or four hours, such as with a roast or chicken, I use a drip pan for my indirect set-up. If I'm cooking longer, such as ribs for six hours, or a pork butt for 20 hours, I use fire bricks or the plate setter. I believe it helps to maintain the steady low temperatures.[p]Kevin
  • Smokin' Todd
    Options
    YB,
    I remember that pulled pork from the 1st annual Eggfest at Waldorf, MD....along with that apple cole slaw he provided.
    AWESOME.
    He also did an excellent presentation on pulled pork at this past Eggfest. MikeO is surely the pulled pork King in my book.
    ST

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,[p]Heee!! I agreeeeeee!!![p]I likey pulled pork,
    Cornfed

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    MikeO,
    For a drip pan I use a pizza pan similar to the 1" deep pans listed in the Katom catalog. Except I think I paid more than $4.35 for mine...