Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Six Hour Barbecue Chicken Results

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry for the delayed post, but this has been an extraordinary week to say the least.
I halved two chickens, used "Pappy's Choice Seasoning" (Paprika, Pepper, Coriander, Mustard, Celery Seed, Garlic)for a dry rub. Used direct method, an extended/raised grate with temp of 220 degrees. Four hours skin side down, two hours skin side up spraying with apple cider every thirty minutes during the last two hours. Was planning on applying BBQ sauce at the end, but it look so good just the way it was.
Results....nice smokey flavor, very juicy, absolutely fall-apart tender, and with crispy skin. I was asked whether it is worth the trouble to cook for so long, the answer is YES! There is something Neanderthal about checking the egg evey couple of hours, the only thing missing is I didn't use my spear to kill the game.
I will try the spatchcock chicken reccomended by "The Naked Whiz" next time. Let's face it...it's all good.........WCS

Comments

• West Coast Smokey,[p]I, too have used "Pappy's Choice". I think that it has a kind of generic bullion undertone when tasted straight from the bottle, but it really enhances the flavor of anything it's put on. I especially like it on pork chops.[p]I've done a couple of chickens using just salt, pepper and paprika as a rub. Now you got me slobberin' all over myself thinking about egg-cooked chicken rubbed with Pappy's. I guess I'll be cruisin' over to the grocery store for some chicken tomorrow![p]Thanks for the update and the idea.[p]Kevin

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    West Coast Smokey,
    I love my birds low and slow. I always felt like the oddball for doing it that way. I'm really glad that someone else does it. Did you brine our birds?

• West Coast Smokey,[p]Did you take the internal temp of the chickens before you pulled them off the Egg? How did you know they were done?[p]I've got a 6-lb roaster I'd like to spatchcock this way, and I'm trying to figure out how long it'll take and how I'll know when it's done.[p]Cheers,[p]David