Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Questions???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you pefer bone-in? if so what effect does it have on how long it takes to cook?

Comments

• Carolina Wizard
    Options
    gugshie,
    I personally never tried a de-boned butt. The bone helps keep the roast together, adds flavor and gives my Labrador something to chew on for a treat. Plus it is so easy to remove after cooking. I strongly suggest leave the bone in. Bill

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    gugshie,[p]Some think that the bone adds a certain flavor that isn't there when you cook a boneless. I think it also adds something to the way a butt cooks the way the heat is dispersed by the bone. Theory anyway.
  • KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    gugshie,[p]Bone-in might slightly increase the cooking time, but not by much. The effect is much more pronounced for meats that cook more quickly, such as a T-bone steak vs. a strip. An extra 10 minutes on a 12-16 hour cook doesn't make much difference.[p]I prefer bone-in boston butt, mostly because I imagine the bone adds extra flavor to the meat. Each butt is unique, so it is very hard to compare one cook to another. As a result, I can't prove my thesis -- but it makes sense.[p]Another side benefit is that the act of cutting out the bone provides an opportunity for bacteria to get inside the butt. Leaving the butt intact slightly reduces the chance of having bad meat. Why take any extra risk?[p]I can't think of any inherent advantages to a boneless boston butt. However, the value of the above benefits is probably small. So if I could get a great deal on a boneless butt compared to a bone-in butt, I would probably buy the boneless.[p]How's that for being indecisive?[p]-Kevin
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    gugshie,
    bone-in butt is a primal. it hasn't been exposed internally to bacteria during processing. when a butt is de-boned, the amount of cutting and rolling involved brings the internal meat in contact with the exterior, which is where the potentially harmful bacteria are (if present).[p]better to keep all the bacteria on the outside, i think.[p]think of a steak. it is safe at an internal temp below 140 (say, rare), because there's nothing bad IN the steak. but grind the same steak up into hamburger, and cook it only rare, and the risk is higher, because bacteria have now (possibly) been introduced to the inside of the meat. now you need to cook it above 140.[p]lo and slo cooks on an agg can go 24 hours sometimes, with long periods where the internal temp is below 140. on a bone-in butt, no issue. de-boned, slightly more risk.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mike
    mike Posts: 152
    Options
    Check this site out before giving bones to the dogs. I've always done it but now I may think twice to avoid probems and costly vet bills![p]http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/bones.html
    [ul][li]http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/bones.html[/ul]