Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean firebricks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]I have a question about cleaning firebricks. Mine seem to be aquiring quite a bit of sauce/juice drippings, etc. I tend to rub the bricks together and knock off all the crusties. Is there anything else I should be doing? I can't see getting them wet, as a pocket of steam might form and cause problems. Am I off base here?[p]PS: I appreciate all of the posts of late, but lets remember to focus our anger on the enemy, not each other. We don't need anyone else to feel they need to leave the forum.[p]Thanks,
Kevin[p][p]

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Kevin Klostermann, Yes, I rub/slide the gunky bricks together as you do. I've heard no other recommendations from the forum folk in the couple of years I've been around! Only other 'cleaning' advise I would offer is perhaps putting bricks dirty side down on grill when finishing up a high-heat cook, i.e. steaks.
    Qfan

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Kevin Klostermann,[p] I've got a few grungy firebrick, too. Now if I know they're going to get nasty, I wrap them in foil. Otherwise, just cook them at high temp for a bit to get rid of any grease and go on with life! I agree that hosing them down may not be the best thing for them.[p] I also agree with you final comment. One reason it is so easy to have a forum like this is that people can give advice from a distance, safe in relative anonymity. Of course that also makes it very easy to say something you might not say in the physical presence of others. Back to BBQ![p]MikeO
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Kevin Klostermann,
    Throw em on a grid and run the Egg up to 600°-700° for 15 or 20 mins..they should be white as new[p]Wess

• TOROLNSTND
    Options
    Kevin Klostermann,
    I have had a few instances where I've had green algea growing on my firebrick and needed them right away, so no time for cleansing them by fire. I've scrubbed em clean with soap under hot water and toweled em dry, they don't hold any moisture as apart from surface striations, the brick are non-porous. I keep mine outside on the bottom shelf of my table where they are exposed to the weather and have never cracked at any temp in the Egg.

• Thanks for all your comments. I'll clean my bricks, then get 'em dirty again tomorrow![p]Happy Q'ing,
    Kevin[p]

• MikeO,
    Personally, I address everyone in this forum as if I were sitting right there in their lap, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to the lapee's point of view, but it's the only way that I know how. As in real life, I just don't have the patience for some people and believe me, my mouth has gotten me into more potential jackpots than my fingers ever could. Still, believe it or not, that's just one of the many qualities that most people find endearing about me.