Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a good...

Options
Good Eats
Good Eats Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Meatloaf recipe for the Egg... haven't really ever liked it but the older I get the more my tastes change... wife has been buying store bought frozen meatloaf and I can't get enuff of it... I guess now is the time to try it on the egg... heck it can only make it better... so please post your favorite meatloaf recipe for me to try. TIA.

Comments

• GoodEats,
    We like this one.[p]Meatloaf, Richard

I recently did one on the small indirect at 325-350F about an hour pulled around 150F.
    [p]***** 2 Meatloaves*****
    2 Lbs. Ground Chuck
    2 Lbs. Ground Round
    3 Whole Eggs
    1 Large Vidalia Onion, Chopped Medium
    10-15 Saltine Crackers, Crushed
    1/2-3/4 Cup Spicy Ketchup
    1/2-3/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
    2-3 Tbs. Dijon Mustard
    1-2 Cups Pepper Ridge Farms Herbed Seasoning Stuffing
    1-1 1/2 Pkg. Lipton Onion Soup Mix
    Coarse Peppermill Black Pepper, to taste
    3-4 Strips Bacon, Optional
    *****Sauce, 1 Meatloaf*****
    1 Cup Spicy Ketchup
    1/4 Cup Dijon Mustard
    1/2-3/4 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
    2-3 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar
    1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
    Ground Pepper to taste

1 The meat recipe makes 2 nice 10 inch diameter loaves and they are about 1 1/2 - 2 inches thick. The sauce is for one meatloaf. The meat recipe may be halved or the other loaf frozen, which is what I do.
    2 When mixing the meat and other ingredients, mix about 1/3 saltine crackers and 2/3 Pepper Ridge stuffing, do in 1/4 -1/2 cup portions so as not to dry out the mixture.
    3 If using the bacon, lay on top of loaf and then cover with the sauce at the beginning of the cook. I cook over a rack that has a grease catch pan underneath and there by avoid having to deal with removing the grease from a normal loaf pan.
    4 You want the sauce to be thick. if necessary thin with water or more vinegar. Slather all over! Nice to have a little sauce left over, to serve with. Play with the ratios of ketchup and mustard until you reach a point that makes you happy. Enjoy!!

Yield: 2-2 Pound Loaves

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 09/05/06

[p]

• KYGran
    KYGran Posts: 18
    Options
    GoodEats,
    I tried this one and it is really good. It came from Eggfest 2004[p]$ydney's Meatloaf
    Ingredients
    for each pound of burger (she uses 80%lean)
    1 egg
    1/8 cup (approx) progresso italian bread crumbs (she doesn't
    measure, she goes by look/feel)
    diced onion
    Procedure
    Mix it up into a loaf, put some ketchup on top (she does her 'S' for Sydney)
    Have the egg at 350 with grid on top of inverted plate setter. . .
    Put the loaf right on the grid
    Depending on the size of your meat loaf, 1 to 1 1/2 hours till about 150 internal (we like
    it in the medium well range - you cook to your own taste).. .
    (I put my loaf in a disposable loaf pan instead of right on the grid.)
    Recipe Source
    Author: Spawn of Mad Max (Sydney)
    Source: Posted by mad max beyond eggdome on May 11, 2004[p]Here is another I found somewhere but I have not tried.
    BBQ Meatloaf
    • 1 lb ground beef • ½ tsp dry mustard
    • ½ lb ground pork • ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 Cup italian bread crumbs • ¼ tsp sage
    • 2/3 Cup milk • 1 Clove garlic, crushed
    • 1 egg • ¾ tsp Dizzy Pig Cowlick Steak Rub
    • 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup) • Ketchup, for brushing
    • 1 Tbs Worchestershire sauce
    • 1 ½ tsp salt
    Preparation Directions:
    • Preheat cooker to 350° with indirect setup.
    • Add cherry wood (I use several large chunks).
    • Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
    • Shape mixture into a loaf and put into an ungreased loaf pan, 9x5x3 inches.
    • Brush top with ketchup and sprinkle with more Cowlick Rub.
    Cooking Directions:
    • Once cooker is stable, smoke for 1.5 hours until done.
    • When meatloaf is done, remove from loaf pan and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Rachard,
    1-2 cups of stuffing!!?? Good Lord, son, how are we to know what to do here? And, spicy ketchup!? You have to remember I live in the country! We can't get stuff like that in these parts. I asked my grocery store manager where the currants were last week and he told me to look over there by the batteries..........

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    egret,
    Sounds like the southern egrets need to fly north with a care package??

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Don't do it, Richard...Bless you, son! You've already sent way more than anyone deserves, and, it's very much appreciated my friend!
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    egret,[p]Looking at your travel schedule, you never stay home long enough to enjoy. LOL

• Big Daddy - OCT
    Options
    GoodEats,[p]I keep meaning to get one of the meatloaf baskets that some kind egger keeps showing pictures of. I think it would really be great. You'll have to scroll down towards the bottom to see it.

[ul][li]Meatloaf Basket[/ul]