Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The 'New Deal' & Stuffed Chile Peppers BBQC!

Options
BBQfan1
BBQfan1 Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A barbecue question here, for a little respite from the discussion of the events of this week:
Am going to do stuffed Anaheim peppers on the Egg tonight for dinner. Have a link of unsmoked/uncooked chorizo sausage and will maybe add some onion and mozzarella cheese (would prefer Monteray Jack, but, hey we have mozzarella, okay?). Any hints and ideas on how to make this work out with best results. Do I blanche peppers? Any smoking ideas or just go with lump only? Anyone else tried such a recipe?
Also, everyone on one of the 'other forums' is talking meat prices and how cheap cuts like chicken wings and skirt steak USED to be, before they became all the rage with various demographics. Anyone out there want to relate a cut of beef/pork/poultry that is still undervalued for the bbq yield that results? Hint: Don't say brisket; it's 3.49 here, when and where you can find it!!
Qfan

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p] Normally, the chilies are blanched or roasted first. I prefer roasting (char over direct flame, then put in a bowl and cover for a while to steam, then run under cold water to remove the skin w/o bursting the pepper), but blanching works well also and saves some time (put peppers in a bowl, pour boiling water over tham and let sit for about 30 minutes). After roasting/blanching, cut a 'T' in the chili (slice the chili on one side lengthwise, cut halfway through -- next cut across at the stem, halfway through), then remove the seeds and mantle. Stuff with whatever you want. Bread with a good, stiff breading (whip some eggs until full of air and light yellow, add flour cornmeal and salt/pepper until a good thick batter forms) and bake on the BGE (I use a baking dish). Can't really give you proportions 'cause I usually wing it . . .[p]MikeO[p]PS: Pork picnic roasts (normally $0.98/lb). Half as moch as a Boston Butt here in NoVA and the pulled pork is just as sweet!
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]This certainly doesn't answer your question, but I grilled some olives in a pan with oil at the Meadowlands on Sunday. These were pitted then stuffed with diced salami. Next, they were dipped in egg, then flour, then breadcrumbs. I only had to grill/fry them for a few minutes and they came out very tasty.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• BBQfan1
    Options
    Cornfed,....and I was starting to get a guilt complex for eating too many olives simply smoked with a bit of apple wood!! LOL Those babies you made sound delicious, but able to clog an artery at 100 (Dave) paces!! Hooo doggy; keep up the good work!
    Qfan

• dan c
    dan c Posts: 31
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    I agree with MikeO. The only thing I might add is after the peppers are roasted (charred until the skin bubbles) is to place them in a plastic freezer bag. This seems to make the skin easier to pull off. Also, cook the chorizo before you stuff the peppers. You may want to mix them with eggs as they absorb some of the grease and make a nice consistancy. Top with some fresh pico de gallo.

• Cornfed
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]Don't blame me! I became intrigued about olives on the Egg from your posts from a while back. I was poking around for recipes the other day before the game and came across this olive one from Mario Batali. How can one argue with a big dude in bright orange slippers???[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• BBQfan1
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Answer: You don't argue with a large Italian man in orange slippers. You just say, 'Bon Jovi, qui es les olives et pancheta?" and it's giddy-up from there!! Especially at a Jets game! After you battered the Olives (as opposed to the Jets battling the Oilers), what did you 'fry' them in? On the Egg? Now I'm getting interested in another artery-clogging endeavor! D'hoh!
    Qfan

• Cornfed
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]Being in a parking lot and not having all of the requisite kitchen amenities handy, we fried them in olive oil (naturally) in one of those throw away tin pans. A pretty shaky setup, but it worked. As we fried the olives, we got a little excited and started throwing in some pepperoni, some jalapeno peppers, and some mozz cheese into the pan that someone had brought with them as finger food for the tailgate table.[p]It was a nice change of pace (pun intended), and complemented the meat courses quite nicely (I know, this olive course did technically contain pepperoni and salami, but it was less a meat course than the ribs and lamb chops...).[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Here is a suggestion, split the casing on the Chorizo and remove it. Then pan-fry the crumbled sausage with the finely chopped onion, as this will allow for extra fat to be rendered out. When the sausage is cooled, mix the meat with the cheese and maybe some breadcrumbs and an egg. Cut the top off of the peppers and clean out the seeds an membranes. Fill each pepper with the mixture and then grill or bake.[p]As a side note, in the back of this month’s Chile Pepper Magazine, an advertisement was selling a Chile rack for the grill. It held the pepper upright so that the filling did not fall out. [p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk