Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket on!

Options
AnnaG
AnnaG Posts: 1,104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z256/AnnaGMS/brisket_on.jpg[p]Oh well, nothing to do but wait now... My egg seems to like 250, so I guess I will let her ride with that...[p]Thanks...
...AnnaG...

Comments

• AnnaG
    Options
    AnnaG,[p]Trying pic again![p]brisket_on.jpg
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    AnnaG,[p]250 dome is good for brisket. Don't be alarmed when the temp gets to 120-130 pretty quick. It will settle into the 150-170 range for a few hours.[p]I put my 9 pounder on last night at 10:00. By 12:30 it was already 140. Now at 10:00am (12 hours later) it has just broken the plateau and is sitting at 177.[p]I have kept the dome at 245-250 and the grid at 220-225 all night.[p]Good luck!! I'm sure it will turn out good. The rest is an important step to make it tender and juicy.
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    AnnaG,
    is that drip pan big enough?[p]Jan

• AnnaG
    Options
    Fidel,[p]I'm glad you told me about not being alarmed... I guess you could say this is my first "big girl" cook, so I am sure I would have freaked...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• AnnaG
    Options
    Metalhead,[p]Hee hee... It is all that I had... Bigger is better, right?[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    AnnaG,[p]That looks really good!! Remember to keep your eye on the grain and slice against it. Test the doneness by how easy your temp probe slides in. Start checking somewhere above 185°.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Metalhead, and Anna G,[p]If that is not a typical set up for a drip pan, what is?
    AnnaG- do you stack several drip pans together to keep from scorching the drippings? Probably more important with a turkey.
    Thanks for any help. So much to learn...
    Al B

• AnnaG
    Options
    Al B,[p]I think Jan was picking on me because the pan is little large :)... I just put the one drip pan right on the platesetter. Haven't had any problems with that yet...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Al B,
    Just keep some liquid in the pan. It will keep the drippings from scorching. I'd recommend heating your liquid of choice on the stove first, to reduce the amount of work the egg has to do to heat it. As for what kind of liquid - some use apple juice or beer or just water. Personally I can't tell the difference in the final product, but it sure does make it smell good while it's cooking.[p]Another trick is to use 90degree copper fittings under the pan. It will keep some air between the platesetter and the pan. Cheap and easy and they last forever.[p]- Mike

• AnnaG,[p]How are your vents set to hold 250 and how much lump did you put in your bge, also, what size bge do you have?[p]Good smokin, your meat looked real nice - somehow that doesn't sound too good. Kind of like 'I need to rub the butt'[p]Anyway not meant to sound... humm I am just getting in more trouble with this. lol.[p]Kent
  • AnnaG
    Options
    kent,[p]The bottom vent is about a 1/4 inch and the daisy wheel is open about 1/3...[p]Hee hee, it is real easy to make butt jokes... I think it is funny...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• AnnaG
    Options
    AnnaG,[p]oops... forgot to answer your other two questions... I filled it to the top of the fire box and I have a large BGE...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• AnnaG,[p]Thanks, I think I am as excited as you are to learn of the results.[p]I did my first brisket on day 4 of getting my lg. It was very good but not as moist as I would like to have had it.
    I didn't use any foil or moisture in a drip pan.[p]It was sure good eatin though.[p]My second attempt at a brisket, the fire went out and I tossed the brisket out. I think the lump I was using (BGE) were too small. I (thought) I had the dome stabilized at 220.[p]With the settings you are using, on my lg, the dome temp would be at or just over 400 degrees.[p]Thanks for the info, kent

• AnnaG
    Options
    kent,[p]Thanks very much! I am pretty excited, I hope it turns out edible...[p]Did the temp on yours drop slightly during the middle of the cook? I am assuming that this is the plateau part that everyone talks about. It went from 167 down to 162. My dome temp has dropped to a little below 250, so debating whether to poke at the lump...[p]I bet that hurt to toss the brisket, but better than getting food poisoning...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• Fidel
    Options
    AnnaG,[p]A brisket dropping a few degrees in the 160s is normal.[p]Mine juts got done a bit ago and it (luckily) turned out terrific. I'm sure yours will be good too. I have the point and the two ends cubes and ready to go back on for a burnt end dinner. Yum.[p]Done2-1.jpg[p]Doneat200.jpg
  • AnnaG
    Options
    Fidel,[p]That looks purdy! I am glad it turned out great...[p]Tell me about burnt ends... I have no idea what I am doing, but if it turns out, it will be due to all of the wonderful help from this forum...[p]It is 101 here right now, I guess I could have laid it on the sidewalk and saved some lump... Hee hee... Dayum it is hot...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• Fidel
    Options
    AnnaG,[p]Burnt ends are a Kansas City specialty. I grew up loving them. I live in Georgia now, and can't find them anywhere so I learned how to make them. Luckily today we finally have a little relief from the heat - it is only about 93 now.[p]I take the point, and about 3 inches from either end of the brisket and cut it into cubes and chunks about 1" square. I toss them in some bbq sauce and let them sit for an hour or two then put them back on the egg for another 2 hours to reduce the sauce and get the ends nice and tender. I'll post a pic when they're done. I just put them back down.[p][p]
  • thirdeye
    Options
    DSC02879a.jpg
    <p />Fidel,[p]That brisket looks perfect. Glad you're making burnt ends. In my book, they put the B in barbecue.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Al B, just foiled my brisket, took 24 hrs to get to 170, 11 pound brisket. i will leave it on the egg at about 300 'til the temp is about 195, then pack in a cooler w/ newspaper and beach towels for a couple of hrs. then it slice up so ez and nice. [p]had a dome temp of about 250/275 and seemed to cook slow but i bet it turns out great.

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    Fidel,[p]Fidel:[p]Ok, so you cook your brisket first?[p]When you put Back in the egg (around 200=-250°), do you put them on the grate, or just put them in a an aluminum pan? I guess it really doesn't matter, although on the grate, the bottom would get more exposure..
  • Jeeves
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]
    That looks good, now what is your method/recipe for burnt ends?
    Jeeve

• Jeeves
    Options
    Fidel,[p]How can you tell when it broke the plateau, when it hit's the 'break-down' range of 'going Warp Gel' of 150-170°?
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Jeeves,[p]They are good. I have a page on my cookin's site just for burnt ends. Both kinds, the traditional dry ones that you sauce up at the table and the popular ones with the sauce reduction.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Burnt Ends[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Jeeves
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks - I should have checked there first![p]Much appreciated![p]-Mike