Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Gravy Instructions

Options
WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan to try a turkey this weekend (first one) and have been going through the archives for some good pointers. Lots of good advise in those archives! One thing I haven't found yet is how to make the gravy.[p]I have never made gravy of any kind in my life (my better half usually makes the gravy). Any suggestions would be appreciated![p]Bob[p]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    RhumAndJerk posted one of the great alltime posts when I asked for help on gravy. This was nearly 2 years ago. I know he has it on file somewhere, as I have seen it since.[p]He should be along with it!
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    Here is a reprint from a couple of years ago. I searched the Archives for it, but it was gone. I was able to find it in my archives .[p]Gravy Revisited[p]Here is something that I found in my archives on making gravy. I posted it sometime ago, but I figured that it was worth repeating. Enjoy.[p]Nature Boy,
    When it comes to gravy, I make it about million different ways. Here are some of things that I do. [p]First, let us deal with the pan drippings. Depending upon how much fat there is to liquid, you could buy a special cup that has a spout at the bottom. It will pour off the drippings while the majority of the fat remains in the cup. I almost never do this. Next you have to deglaze the pan. My choices are (in order) Jim Beam, beer (Any kind, Porter works great for Beef), vermouth (Sweet or Dry), wine (any kind). It only takes a little bit to loosen the concentrated flavor off of the bottom of the pan.[p]Next, make a choice as to where the gravy is to be made, in the drip pan or a saucepan. I usually transfer to a saucepan. I put it on low to medium heat. Also, you are now going to stir constantly until you finished, so be ready. I use a whisk to stir with.[p]Increase the total amount of liquid to the amount you want. Do not try to add too much, I end up with between one to two cups of gravy. I use beer or stock, depending upon what I have and what I want the finished product to taste like. Bring the liquid to a boil and add any other seasoning except salt. Taste the liquid and adjust as needed.[p]Now it will be time to thicken the gravy. Here is where things get sketchy and I am just approximating the amounts. I will use any one of the follow combinations to thicken:
    ¼ flour dissolved in ½ cup water
    3 TBS corn starch dissolved in ½ cup water
    ½ cup flour mixed with ½ cup sour cream
    A roux made of equal parts flour and butter, fried either light or golden brown depending upon the flavor that I want. Start with 3 TBS of each
    If you kept the existing fat content of liquid already, I would not recommend using the sour cream or roux. You could strain the flour or cornstarch mixture if you are worried about lump but I do not.[p]Add thickening to the saucepan. Continue stirring until it is thick. It will burn quickly.[p]If you like the color and flavor, you are done. If I am making a beef gravy I use Kitchen Bouquet to darken the color. If it still needs something, then add a little bit of it and taste again. Go easy on the salt and add only as last resort. [p]To answer your next question, I have never had gravy turn out the same way twice. [p]Good Luck,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Now that is scary.
    R&J

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    turkey15.jpg
    <p />WudEyeDoo,[p]I assume you want to know how to get the turkey juices for gravy and not what else to add to make it.[p]Getting drippings is a bit tricky. A drip pan over the fire will often allow the drippings to burn. The picture shows the turkey breasts in a Vrack over a drip pan. The drip pan was sitting on two firebricks while cooking - this prevents the drippings from burning.[p]Take a look at my website - under Poultry. You will see turkey breasts listed on the left side and it will take you to a half dozen pictures of how I do mine.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim M's website[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Wacky I tell ya. Gonna be a goooooood Eggtoberfest!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ