Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spicy Chicken Wings

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for a good recipe on smoked spicy chicken wings.
I want to somehow include that buffalo sauce in it. Like the way
"Hooters" does them. I want to make a big batch to impress relatives.
thanks

Comments

• Schneid
    Options
    mark,
    Here is an option: I have done these 4-5 times and vary the cayenne pepper depending who my guest are.... I like 'em hot. I also like 'em with no breading. I have combined several recipes by trail and error---do not know who to give credit to but know these are the bomb.
    Swimming sauce: 1 stick butter, 1/3 cup Texas Pete hot sauce, 1/2 cup beer, 1-2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes. Combine all ingredients in sauce pan, heat until butter melts and sauce is well mixed. It smells great too.[p]I brine wings in salt water brine for several hours. Then deep fry in peanut oil for 12 minutes. Remove from fryer, dab with paper towel and throw 'em in swimming sauce (which is now off heat). They continue to swim until folks are ready to eat---have made for immediate grilling/eating and have made 6 hrs in advance.[p]Fire up BGE---get to 350. Toss wings into basket and put in BGE for 10-15 min. I have used no smoking chips and tried couple handfuls of soaked pecan. Either way, these are good wings!!!
    PS---swimming sauce can be reapplied after BGE cook, and is a great dipping sauce as well.
    Good Luck!!!!

• mark,
    I've used "The Original Anchor Bar Buffalo Wing Sauce" (see link) and it was very good.[p]K

[ul][li]Anchor[/ul]
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Schneid,
    do you put them in swimming sauce before the BGE? How long?
    Then reapply afterwards, right? Sounds great. thanks[p]

• Schneid
    Options
    mark,
    After frying, put into swimming sauce for 20min to 6 hrs---whenever ready to cook. After cooking on BGE either dunk 'em again or use as a dipping sauce---the latter will enable guests to gauge how hot they want. They are great---look great, smell great, taste great and linger on lips and sinus cavities for a spell.