Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1ST Butt attempt

Options
Beast
Beast Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,
it's been some time since i've posted here actually i'm just now finding out about the new link any way this is my first attempt at Pulled Pork i bought a 6LB butt yesterday & did all the cleaning & prep work i put it on the BGE @ around 8:45 pm last night went to work this morningi just checked it & the thermapen showed 200 degrees it's been 13 hours now is it time to come off or how do i tell i don't have a GuRU or any of that fancy stuff just a thermapen please advise i don't want to over cook it or under cook it thanks all

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    7c583015.jpg
    <p />Beast,[p]It sure sounds done. I monitor tenderness more than going by temperature. If there is no resistance to a fork or if the bone is ready to slip out clean, that boy is done. Wrap in foil and rest at least an hour.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Beast
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Thanks for the reply i'm bout to run to the store & i'll check it when i return i can't wait until it's time to sample it ohh does that sound about right for the time i stated??

• thirdeye
    Options
    Beast,[p]...does that sound about right for the time i stated??[p]Depending on your pit temp, yeah it sure does. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Beast,
    The thermapen won't lie.It should be done.What was the dome temperature during the cook? Not that matters to much I guess some cook faster than others but 13 hours seems a little fast if done at 255 or so.But like I said the temp gauge is your friend.

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Darnoc,
    Oops typo.It should be 225.

• GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    Beast,
    It's possible it's done. I take mine off at internal temp of 190 and it pulls fine... usually takes me about 10 hours for a 10 lb. at 230 degrees dome temp...

• firstovernightbutts-012.jpg
    <p />Beast,
    wiggle the bone, mon!
    heheh
    it's a good indication of doneness and pullability

• Beast
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Thanks to all for all the valuable info it cam out very tender i was amazed being that it is my 1st attempt wht suggestion to you all reccomend for giving it some flavor all i used was dizzy dust on it at the start of the cook what should i use now that it is done pulled & ready to be consumed??

• thirdeye
    Options
    Beast,[p]Well, a lot of folks like sweetness with pork. You can sprinkle some additional rub into the meat, or even some sauce thinned with broth or just de-fatted drippings from the foil. Just don't go too heavy on either, and have some additional sopping sauce at the table.[p]I like a vinegar/apple juice/salt mixture on mine but that is a developed taste. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~