Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Six Hour Barbecue Chicken?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having a friend over tonight for barbecue chicken... found a reciepe on "The Smoke Ring" web site which calls for a 6 hour smoke at between 225 and 250 degrees. Pictures look great. Has anyone tried this method? If so what were the results... thanking you in advance for your help.....WCS

Comments

• Big Murth
    Options
    West Coast Smokey,
    I haven't tried a slower and lower chicken cook yet, and yes, it probably is pretty good.
    I've really enjoyed just doing an easy roast with smoke, at about 325 (usually takes a couple of hours), using either the BGE poultry stand, or a chicken sitter (like for the BeerButt recipe)---and it comes out juicy, with nice smoke flavor and any of the other flavoring enhancements you want to impart.
    The slow smoke might be awesome, so let us know how it goes if you do it. But, if you don't want to spend as much time, try your bird with some apple or mesquite or pecan at 325 or so. You won't be disappointed, and it will have plenty of smoke flavor! Big Murth p.s. If you do this cook, just setting the bird on a V-rack or similar is fine too. I've tried it both ways now, and I prefer to do these indirect (over bricks or a plate setter).

• West Coast Smokey,
    I did a long cook on a chicken.. 10 hours.. 200°.. It was the juciest
    tenderest chicken I ever did.. You had to cure it with a little tenderquick first because it is in the dangerzone for so long.. That did give it a ham taste though.. Which was really good, just not what I was used too. But I was surprised that you could cook a chicken that long and have it not dry out.. The juices just poured out of it.. I have smoked alot of chickens at the temps your asking about, they usually take 4 or 5 hours..[p]Dylan

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    chicken1.jpg
    <p />West Coast Smokey,[p]If you are doing breasts and legs - I like 325-350 deg. Anything less won't brown the skin and leaves it gray looking and rubbery. My $.02[p]Tim
  • West Coast Smokey,
    Im thinking it will be dried out too much. I am amazed you could go that long without a liquid brine. Good luck to you tho if it works, even tender meat can be slow smoked if youre careful.

'chickens in a chicken coup wish they had some human soup'

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    West Coast Smokey,
    As the local spatchcock chicken bigot, I'd have to wonder why anyone would want to spend 6 hours cooking a chicken when you can do it in 45 minutes? You can get as much smoke flavor as you want, you can use any rub you want, and you will have the JUICIEST tenderest chicken you can imagine. I realize I am a bigot, but try it sometime and compare with your 6 hour cook and then ask yourself if it is worth the trouble to cook for so long. If you need directions, you can find them at the following web page. Check out the recipe page and look for "Dead Simple Spatchcock Chicken."[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Web Page[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme,[p]I've done several chickens (brined, usually) at 220 for 6 hours. Like your 10-hour bird, they're very juicy and fall-apart tender. The skin gets slightly crisp: not the bronze crackle of a 350 degree roast, but not grey rubber. [p]I haven't tried the Tenderquick - the breast temp hits 140 in less than 4 hours, and no one's gotten sick. The first chicken I slow-cooked was too smoky so now I go light on the wood.[p]Cathy
  • George T.
    Options
    West Coast Smokey,[p]They turn out great....I do mine indirect. One advantage of doing the six hour is that you can get it stabilized....leave the house and come back to a prepared meal.[p]Just did it yesterday. They are very juicy...the last hour I apply sauce every 30 minutes for the last hour and run the temp up to 250.[p]George T.