Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for some Carribean/ Barbados type recipes

Options
AlaskanC
AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I suppose I should have pinged RTD, but I'll just put it out there for everybody.
Next week our friend from Australia and our friend from Barbados are coming up to stay for a week or so. I want to make a few things for our Bajan friend, but I don't want to fall into the generic jerk chicken/ stereotype thing (unless you have a really good recipe). Brent said that one thing he loved having over there was "macaroni pie" that they ate with hot sauce. Any ideas on that one?? Any recipes or tips are mucho appreciated!!

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]Just found this site and the macaroni pie is in it. HTH
    [ul][li]http://www.caribvoice.org/recipes.html[/ul]
  • AlaskanC
    Options
    Richard,[p]Awesome! I am going to give that a try!! Thanks for the other recipes you sent me - I think the rum punch is going to be a big winner knowing this crowd! :)
  • GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    a lot of fried fish. I was down there in April and loved the place. That is a loooooong way from you guys.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]I have nothing to offer in way of recipes but your query sort of reminded me of something that occurred 35 years ago. My wife and I were on our first trip as a married couple back to where she grew up - Thailand. Although I'd been in Asia before, I reveled in the new flavors and environment. We took a flight to northern Thailand and stayed with a friend of her parents and for dinner they told me they had a treat. They pulled out an item that they had searched far and wide for, something very expensive at that time and in that place - a jar or peanut butter just for me. Their thought was that I, as an American in their country, would really like a taste of home. I was polite, thanked, ate, etc., but I was really disappointed because what I had wanted was foods that were native to that region of Thailand. Is there a lesson from this parable . . . ;-)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]We are all more comfortable in our own backyards, when driving on our own back roads, or when fishing our home waters. [p]That said, if I was in your shoes, I think I would show off a couple of your wonderful local favorites one or two nights. If your guests are good hands in the kitchen, offer your kitchen and let THEM prepare some of their specialties for you. I know I dig doing that.[p]Make sure to offer to do all of the prep work so you can learn all of the little things.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Hey Melissa,
    I saw that recipe for Macaroni Pie from Richard and I'd like to suggest another version that's super good and one we've used for years :

Macaroni & Cheese With Wine [p]1 1/2 cups uncooked Elbow Macaroni
    1/4 cup chopped Onion
    3 T. Butter (melted)
    3 T. All-Purpose Flour
    1 1/2 cups Milk
    1/2 cups Dry White Wine
    1/2 tsp. Salt
    Pinch of Pepper
    16 ounces shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese (divided)
    Paprika
    Dry bread crumbs[p]Cook macaroni, drain and set aside.
    Sauté onion in butter in heavy saucepan; add flour, stirring until mixture is smooth.
    Cook one minute, stirring constantly.
    Gradually add milk and wine; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
    Remove from heat; add salt, pepper, and 8 ounces of cheese.
    Stir until cheese melts.
    Add macaroni and mix well.
    Pour into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole.
    Sprinkle with 8 oz. cheese, paprika and bread crumbs.[p]Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
    Uncover and continue baking 15 minutes.[p]
    [p]

• PigsEye
    PigsEye Posts: 21
    Options
    1 medium sized can red kidney beans
    1 can coconut milk
    2 cups of rice
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 table spoon oil
    1 scotch bonnet pepper (whole, do not chop up)
    water[p]Drain the liquid from the can of beans into a measuring cup and add the can of coconut milk and enough water to make four cups of liquid. Place liquids in a pot with beans, onions, garlic, thyme and oil, bring to a boil. Add rice and stir for a minute. Reduce heat to Medium-Low. Place scotch bonnet pepper on top of liquid and cover tightly for 30 minutes or until rice is cooked. Remove scotch bonnet pepper before serving.[p]This recipes can also be made using other peas.[p]

I alter the recipe by using black beans. Also, I omit the pepper, as I'm the only pepper head in my house.[p]For the coconut milk, it's not the sweet type. I usually find it in the Asian/Indian section at any of the local grcery stores. I've seen it debated here in the past whether it's easy to find or not. I'm in Little Rock and all the groceries as well as Super Wal-Mart carry it.
  • AlaskanC
    Options
    PigsEye,[p]That looks good! We never get Scotch Bonnet peppers here - what is comparible? I assume they have a flavor and not just heat.
  • AlaskanC
    Options
    John - now that looks awesome!! I am not going to try and overwhelm the guy with "his" kind of food every night, but we do want to have one big dinner with my family & friends that will have a little bit of everyone's kind of food (in a family like mine, it is about 12 different nationalities! lol).
    I think the macaroni pie will fit in perfectly!

• AlaskanC
    Options
    Haggis,
    You nailed it. Point taken! Besides, even if I tried to replicate his home cooking I wouldn't be able to no matter how hard I tried. I think we will stick with the rum punch though! :)[p]I wonder if he likes peanut butter & jelly sandwiches?! LOL..

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    i marked that recepie i may make it with jalapenos because the woman carring my little girl (they think it's a girl) can't eat many things that are hot right now but i did find a comparison in the link i am giving. [p]happy eggin
    tb

[ul][li]click here for comparison[/ul]

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• PigsEye
    PigsEye Posts: 21
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    They're pretty much the Jamaican version of habaneros. I think they are a bit warmer. Since it's not cut up, it adds mainly flavor, a little spice. I haven't been able to find those around here. Would like to get some seeds and grow my own. (That almost sounds illegal.)

• 8jul07-025.jpg
    <p />AlaskanC,
    hey! generic jerk chicken? you shouldn't talk about leroy like that! hahaa[p]find some pusser's rum and make some rick's tropical delights![p]16 oz glass with ice cubes
    1 oz rum
    1/2 oz amaretto
    1/2 oz triple sec
    a squeeze of lime
    dash of sour mix
    1 1/2 oz pineapple juice
    1 1/2 oz cranberry juice
    1 1/2 oz orange juice
    drizzle 1/2 t grenadine[p]serve a few of those and they won't care what else you serve them, mon!
    steak-n-fruit-026.jpg[p]how about dr bbq's grilled fresh pineapple on the half shell?
    brickyard2007-012.jpg[p]or rtd's bbq fruit?
    bbqfruit1.jpg

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    you could cook up one of those big salmon fillets and tell them they are eating flying fish. never knew anyone ate those til i looked it up. honestly all i would want is some of that shrimp and crab you guys have served everyway possible.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it