Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A few small BGE questions?

Franco
Franco Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had a large for a year and I love it. The last few days there has been a few post about people buying a 2nd egg and that the second egg of choice seems to be a small.[p]If some of you could help me with a couple of questions I'd appreciate it. One, how much food can you cool on small? Can you do a 5 or 6LB. butt and/or how many steaks will the small do?[p]Also, some of say you move your small around. Is that very easy and do you leave it all together or take it appart? Last, how much would you guess a small weighs and cost?[p]Thanks as always, Frank

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Franco,[p]The small Egg is the perfect compliment for your large and will surprise you with it's capacity. I use mine twice as much as the large. A 5 or 6 lb butt is no problem (although not much bigger). I've done filets for 6 on mine without a problem. If you talking about big footprint cuts like T-bones or Porterhouse, then it's 2 to 3. The cooking grid is about 13.5" The small is a great grilling Egg since the food is closer to the fire. It weighs about 60 lbs with the innards in place and empty of lump.[p]K~G

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Franco,
    I agree with KennyG on the cooking volume.I hauled my small to the Michigan Fest with no problem at all. Mine is in a nest and I take it out (prefferably sober when handling) of nest and put in a Rubbermaid container just to help balance it, but I keep it behind the rear seat in a van. Depending on what you haul it in it might be wise to strap it in like a passenger as the consequences could be bad in an accident.
    Painter

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Breasts_potatoes.jpg
    <p />Franco,[p]The Small egg is sufficient to feed my wife and I plus our 17 year old son. I love it. [p]To move it, I usually remove the innards and then carry the whole egg to the car/seatbelt. I place the innards back in after it is in the seat. Reverse upon arrival.[p]Carl T