Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tufty Ceramic Baking Dishes

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks MikeO for the reference for those baking dishes. I just got off the phone with a very nice lady named Karen, who owns the company. She says the dishes are rated to 1900 degrees, but are not intended for using over direct flames. They sound like they would be perfect for egg baking, and they have every possible size you would need. They ship UPS and bill you directly after shipping.[p]Sounds awesome. I think I will order some and see what happens.
On top of firebricks, or a pizza stone, these would be great.[p]She also had a great suggestion if you want "fireware", which is designed for use over direct heat. Go to a nearby art college, and see if they can make one for you!![p]NB

[ul][li]Tufty Ceramic Baking Dishes[/ul]
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]THANKS ALOT, my wife just HAPPENED to come up to the office as I had that ceramic cookware web page open and her eyes shot daggers through me. She comes up to the office once every year or so, just happened to be today, in town from where she works dropping some stuff off at the local printer. I appreciate the information on those dishes, they do look great. Let me know how they work cause after that theres no chance in (*&%^(* that I'm ever getting one. Maybe she'll let me get another thermometer.......[p]Troy
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Nature Boy,
    What are you getting? There are so many cool things, I can't decide. We could be talkin' big bucks here, way more than the Polder! This is a great resource MikeO posted. I've bookmarked the site.
    Cheers,
    G.

• Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    I can't stop laughing!!
    Wives are professionals with those "looks".[p]I usually just order the stuff, and then when the credit card bill comes, and my wife asks me "what is this?", I tell her. She rolls her eyes, then moves onto the next item. "what is this??" etc.[p]Then she will make a comment like "you are buying too much stuff". And I say "I know, but I needed it". She rolls her eyes again and and says "be careful what you buy". And I say "I am", or "I will". [p]That's all there is to it. Seems like the simplest, most pain-free method to support my habit. And I only have to worry about it the day the credit card bill comes.[p]Try that Tim!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Gretl,
    Not sure yet. I'm gonna open a beer soon, and sit and look at the stuff again and make some decisions.[p]Have fun
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    Nature Boy,[p]I can't really comment badly about my wife, she really is great. We do have our conversations like you describe and in reality they're not confrontational at all. She's a keeper and I wouldnt trade her. We both work, she keeps the checkbook. As long as the bills are paid and we're putting some away for savings, the rest is hers/mine to spend. Some times she spends the extra, sometimes I do. It all works out in the end and thats what counts...........................OK,
    I think she's stopped looking over my shoulder and gone back to work now, I can stop with all of that mushy stuff and let me tell you how I really feel.........[p]Seriously though, her only comment to me was last night and that was "we've been eating a lot of red meat lately, do we have any chicken in the freezer?" So, tonight is an egg free night, making encheladas. Sounds good to me too.[p]Troy

• Nature Boy,[p] I'm gonna use that quote next time I'm in a department meeting![p]MikeO
  • sprinter,
    All of these wife comments are cracking me up. I'll be joining the ranks on Saturday. No doubt, I will have similiar stories to tell.[p]B~F

• Gretl
    Nature Boy,
    Ah, beer. That reminds me...have you ever sampled Yuengling Lord Chesterfield Ale? We're really stuck on that as our Brew of Choice. I'll bring some to the EggFest. Oh, I'm SO thirsty RIGHT NOW!
    Cheers,
    G.

• Gretl
    Bama Fire,
    Best Wishes to you and your soon-to-be spouse! Don't pay any attention to these guys on the forum. Their wives are all saints, and they know it! ;-)
    Cheers,
    Gretl[p]p.s. Gonna take the Egg with you on the honeymoon?

• sprinter
    Bama Fire,[p]Good luck on the wedding and congratulations. I can honestly say that I married my best friend and we still are today. We dated for about 5 years, married now for 10 and it seems like just yesterday we were saying "I do". Did you offer to cook the dinner for the reception on the BGE? I'm sure that would engratiate you to her family real well from the get go. May make the Tux smell a bit like smoke but they usually clean those before they send them back out.[p]Troy[p]PS: send us an email post card from the honeymoon
  • sprinter
    Gretl,[p]They have to be to put up with the likes of us. Sorry, don't mean to speak for the collective but my wife has some interesting names for our "little group of eggies".[p]Troy
  • Gretl,
    Thanks for the wishes! My fiance thinks I'm a nut for posting messages everyday to this forum, but she hasn't taken the time to read the posts and see the friendships that develop here. Maybe it's good that she's not reading this thread! :-D[p]Unfortunately, I'll be eggless for a 10 days. I'll make up for it when we get back home though.[p]Ya'll don't miss me too much while I'm away. I'll give ya'll a report when I get back! [p]Happy Egging, you cultists![p]Bama Fire

• sprinter,
    If I'm lucky, I won't see a computer, CNBC or a wall street journal the entire time I'm gone![p]Maybe I can get a picture scanned of us on the beach in Maui. Hope it's not too cold wherever you're reading this! :-D[p]B~F

• sprinter,
    Mine does too!

• Nature Boy
    Gretl,
    I think I did try it years ago. I know I have seen it.[p]I remember when we used to get Yuengling Porter for $1.80 a six. Still buy it occasionally, as well as the lager, but it is not nearly as cheap as it used to be.[p]That was before all the micro-brews showed up. I remember in 1983, when I got out of college, there were under a dozen microbrewers in the whole country. Now that there are thousands of them, people are choosing the fresh brews over the imports.[p]Anyway, it is amazing how we got back on beer again!![p]Back to ceramic baking dishes. Now that my first beer is drained, I am thinking of buying the AuGratin dish (12 x 7.5x 2) and the Oval Roaster (12.75 x 10.5 x ?).[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Bama Fire,
    Congratulations on your marriage! You don't seem to nervous. I was a wreck the week before my wedding. The problem was that in my wife's culture the grooms family takes care of the wedding. In our culture, as you know, the brides family. So we did all of the planning ourselves. Of course I didn't realize at the time it isn't worth worrying about. Usually not everything goes perfectly at the wedding, but who cares??[p]Have a great wedding, a great honeymoon, and a great life.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    Nature Boy,[p]Funny that you mention the rise of the microbreweries. I have been reading about what seems like a real slowdown in the microbrew industry. I'm not sure whats causing it but they have been closing down fairly regularly from what I read. There is a brew school in Chicago that's having trouble keeping its doors open and one of the industry trade magazines is suffering from lack of readership and its stopping publication. MrBeer may have some insight to this, being a professional brewer, but I think that the microbrew phenomenon is on the way out from what I've read.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    Nature Boy,[p]Jeesh NB, hes just getting married, not banned from the forum. hehehehe[p]I'm sure he took your well wishes in the manner that they were meant and appreciates them but it did strike me funny when I read them the first time. Kinda felt like I should be saying goodbye to him myself.[p]Troy
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Bama Fire,
    WARNING.....20 years ago, february 16th 1980,i took my wife off the streets, gave her a name,let her sleep in the same bed with me and eat at the same table with me and now she thinks she is as good as me.K-O-C it's your turn.
    YB

• Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    I would have to say too much competition, and not enough people who aren't happy with Saranac, Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada and Anchor. I don't think craft brewing is on the way out, just too many brewers flooding the market. [p]Just my take on it. How bout it Mr. Beer??[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,[p]I just stumbled onto this thread - nice baking dishes!! Let us know what you get and how you like it, I have an eye on a bread dish and that french bread "thing" looks interesting.[p]Tim
  • Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    sprinter,[p]Egg-free? Enchaladas? Bake them in the egg - indirect over ceramic - wonderful!![p]Mary
  • sprinter
    Mary,[p]Yeah, I know, it pained me to have to put them in the oven but to keep the peace I did them in the oven. They are actually quite good as they are, not sure that the egg would add a flavor that would enhance them that much.[p]Troy
  • Mary
    sprinter,
    The egg really does for those spicy complex flavored dishes like enchaladas or lasagna. Just a hit of smoke really adds a nice quality. Try it.[p]Mary

• sprinter,[p]SO LONGgggg.....Farewell.....[p]
    g'bye![p]B~F :-D [p]See ya'll in a week.

• Gretl
    Nature Boy,
    You're right about the price. We used to be able to buy a case for around $7.50 not too many years back. We toured the brewery in Pottsville maybe 12 years ago when old Mr **** Yuengling was still around. He manned the taps following the tour for free tastes; a charming guy who obviously took great pride in his craft. The brewery, established in the mid-1800s (I think; don't have any reference here at work, darn!) is still family owned and is the oldest continuously operating brewery in the country. During prohibition, the underground caverns where the beer was kept cool were bricked up by the feds. The brewery continued making non-alcoholic brew and opened up a creamery across the street where they made ice cream. After the repeal of the prohibition laws, the bricks were knocked down and business resumed as usual. Old Mr Yuengling died a few years ago and his son now runs the business. There was a big scare a year or so ago when Anheuser-Bush wanted to buy the brewery; they claimed they wanted merely to increase the production and distribution BUT to do so, they'd have to hire a chemist and put additives in the beer to increase the shelf life. Sounds like the downward spiralling road to Bud Lite if you ask me. Fortunately, clearer heads prevailed and production continues as always. I'm so grateful to be able to buy pure Yuengling beer (they make lager, ale, porter, and black and tan) that I don't mind TOO much that their price has crept up to nearly double what we used to pay. Love that ale.[p]Well, this was WAY more than anyone needed to know. [p]Re: Tufty...the oval roaster's lookin' good.
    Cheers,
    Gretl[p]

• Nature Boy
    Tim M,
    Yeah, I was looking at that french bread thing.
    Do you think it is designed that way to brown the sides? Or hold the shape??[p]I am still bread-challenged, and have never made any bread other that pizza dough.[p]Alright, I will order some stuff from them right now.
    I'll let you know what happens.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Gretl,
    Thanks for that great story. I knew they had been around a while, but I had no idea on those interesting details. I will try the Chesterfield Ale soon.[p]I just ordered the oval roaster. I'll let y'all know when I get it. Karen Tufty said she would send a flyer and some info on their products. She is very helpful if anyone wants to call or email her with questions.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Mary
    Nature Boy,[p]I am certain the french bread pan is shaped that way to help hold the shape and theoretically, the clay will help to suck moisture out, and if hot enough, bake the bread from the bottom. There are perforated metal pans shaped like that for the same reason. These are crutches to help folks bake the bread somewhat like the pros do, but pros don't use these devices. Pros do proof the bread in linen lined banneton baskets to help slack doughs keep shape while proofing, but then bake them on hot flat stones.[p]Real bakers get the oven hot enuf and time the dough ripeness so oven spring gets the loft needed for the bread, no matter how wet and limp the dough. Using these pans won't completely solve the problems of not having the oven hot enuf or the dough in the right stage of ripeness, but it can help some if you don't know how to get it right. Personally, I'm not going to bother with a bread pan, I've got a stone.[p]In the days when I used clay pots to bake bread, I had a lot of trouble with the bread sticking badly to the pot. This is a bit different technology with the fine coating, so it might behave differently. If it were me, I'd try one of their pots with more versatility and try using that as a bread pan before using the french bread thing. the french bread thing won't have any other use, if it doesn't work well.[p]Mary
  • Gretl
    Mary,[p]Interesting info here. I have a bread book at home that goes into the submolecular level of just about everything regarding bread-baking. I find it intimidating, to say the least. However there was one item that I picked up from this book and I'm happy to pass along; before baking a regular loaf, after the second rising (I'm referring to a baguette shape on a cornmeal-dusted pan), cut with a scissors about halfway through the loaf at three inch intervals and at about a 30 degree angle. Quickly turn each cut slightly, alternating left and right; this forms what looks sort of like a stalk of wheat. Called an "epi." Anyway, what I found interesting was that I'd always done any shaping of the dough before the second rising. When cutting and shaping the epi, of course the dough collaped. I'm screwed, I thought. But no! With the oven hot enough (425-450), the dough immediately sprang back and the resulting loaf had a beautiful shape. The points were sharp and well-defined. I've made it many times and it's our favorite right now; I just haven't tried it in the Egg as transferring the loaf to a stone seems pretty hairy. I usually do a round loaf because it's so EggLike in shape.[p]Have you made edible Easter baskets? Braid dough for basket outline and put a raw egg in the center. Drape dough piece for handle over the egg; paint with egg wash and bake. The egg becomes hard-cooked and everyone loves having their own basket at the dinner table. Eek! this sounds pretty Martha Stewarty but is really just a family tradition. [p]Thanks again for the info. I think I'm going to get the Tufty oval baker. And though I have a pizza stone, I may get theirs as mine's cheap, thin, and kind of worn-out looking. Sort of like a blind date from hell, huh?[p]Cheers,
    Gretl