Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help asap on pork ribs.

James
James Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am smoking one slab of pork ribs and need to know temp and for how long? I have already put rub on and am getting ready to start up the egg. It is 1:30 pm in KCKS and I need to try to get them done by 6:30 or 7:00. Is this possible? This is my first rib cook. I have only cooked steak and hamburgers so far. (must admit that the steaks and burgers are AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!) ASAP help would help calm my nerves. THANKS TO ALL.

Comments

• james,
    Cat says 250 for 3 to 3.5 hours

[ul][li]Cats ribs[/ul]
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    james,
    I smoke them at anywhere from 150-200 degrees. Right before they are done I remove them, get the egg up to 5-600 and scorch each side for 30 sec or so.....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • james,
    I just smoked my first pork spare ribs on the egg earlier this week and did them for 5 hours at about 220 to 250 degrees. Just a dry rub, no mopping, and I loved them![p]My key tips: use plenty of lump charcoal and when you are starting the egg, keep a close eye on it. When the temp gets to about 200, close the bottom door to about a quarter inch opening or less and put your daisy wheel cap on mostly closed. Once you go above your desired temp it is very hard to get it back down again. I had wanted to smoke at 220 but over shot and could not get it back down for a couple of hours.[p]good luck and good eating!
    cj

• James
    James Posts: 232
    james,
    thanks to all that helped. new here and learn alot. i will try your tips and let you all know. Thanks, Egger 4 life!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    james,
    Yes. Your timing should work. Many ways to do them.
    250-300 indirect for 4-6 hours
    250 direct for 3.5-4 hours
    Or you could opt for 250 indirect for 3 hours. Then an hour in foil. And an hour or 2 so direct at the finish, until they are ready to pull apart.
    Relax. You'll do fine.
    NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • cj,
    Don't be afraid to shut those vents right down if you go too high on the temp, this should bring the dome temp down fairly quickly. If you leave that bottom open just a crack, it'll feed an existing flame and maintain a high temp for a longer period, but if you shut it down, you will starve it and it'll cool down, then you can open up a bit to feed the still glowing embers and regulate fairly easily.

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    james,
    If you are doing a single slab and have plus/minus 5 hours, then you are laughin'! Go for an indirect cook (utilize a thermal shield from direct flame; either a ceramic mass of fire bricks, BGE platesetter or the like), or extend further from the flames with an extended grill raised above flames, or use the good old rib rack over an aluminum tray, or any rack suspended over a drip pan will do; liquid in drip pan is a personal choice). Go for a dome temp in the 220-230 range. Use smoking wood of choice, chips or chunks will suffice (soaked in water if chunks), utilizing your favourites, but recommend either hickory or fruitwood such as apple or cherry, or a combo of the above. About a handfull at outset of cook will suffice. After smoke starts to mushroom, replace grill and establish your indirect cooking method of choice. Let ribs drink in a bit of that smoke (should be a nice slither of smoke coming from chimney of Egg; for 220-230 I usually have 1/8-1/4" slits in both bottom vent and upper daisy wheel). Let smoke away for several hours; turn end for end or 180 degrees if in a rib rack to avoid hot spot in fire overcooking one specific part of the ribs. Mist with apple juice/cider if you feel you need to be more participatory, but not necessary. From here you can wrap in foil for a period of 1/2 hr-1 hr if that's what turns your crank, or just take on through to a finished cook, where meat is pulling from end of rib bones. You can gently 'jiggle' rib bones to see how they are pulling from the bone.
    All you can really do wrong at this point is brush with a sugar-based sauce and grill direct for a prolonged period; sugar will burn.
    You have time on your side, James. Sounds like you have good basic knowledge of bbq; follow your instincts and filter any suggestions through that personal instinct.
    Have a great weekend, and enjoy dem ribs!
    Qfan

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Nature Boy,
    You can also do them direct at 275-300 for about 1 hour 45 minutes. Turn them every 25 minutes for the first 1:15. Baste with sauce every 10 minutes the last 30 minutes and flip with each basting.
    JimW

• Nature Boy
    JimW,
    Is that how you cooked them at the first MD Eggfest?? I remember you did them very quickly...but did not get a chance to try them!
    Beers to you Jim. Howdy to Ken.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • TOROLNSTND,
    thanks for the tip, I was too chicken to shut it completely down but will do that next time.[p]I really appreciate the abundant and timely advice on this forum.[p]cj

• BBQfan1
    JimW,
    I always like when you post that one! Seems like a lot of folks are committed to 5-6 hour cooks for ribs. Eggfest 2000 proved to me that your method produces some damn fine results too! Hope all is well.
    Qfan

• BBQfan1
    Nature Boy,
    Chris, your typing speed must be pickin' up! Got me beat by 3 minutes on that one! LOL
    Qfan

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    JimW,[p]I am a believer in meat temps being key. Take a measurement next time you do them and see if the temp is 185 or more. Anything under 175 makes the meat stick to the bone. [p]
    Tim

• JimW
    Nature Boy,
    Yes, those be the ones all right.
    JimW

• JimW
    BBQfan1,
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. All is well here even though it's getting harder and harder to cook for just one these days.
    JimW

• Tim M,[p]is there a "plateau" effect with ribs? is it in the 160's?
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    char buddy,[p]I am not sure. I need to watch it more closely sometime. I did a few racks the other day for 5 hr at 250 indirect and the meat temp was 165. How could that be?? well, It was and they pulled like shoe leather. The meat was nice and tender but none pulled clean. My indirect is going to be higher next time - like I use to do them 300-350. If someone tells me they cooked ribs for 5 hr at 250 and they were tough - I will know why - low temp temp. I would have assumed 5 hr at 250 would have raised that meat temp to 180 or more -- I was wrong I guess. [p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    char buddy,
    I have found that there is a clear and present plateau with ribs. Same as other meats with lots of connective tissue....the upper 150's and the 160's. Getting past the plateau is the key to tender ribs![p]FMEA. (from my experiences anyways).
    YeeeHoooo! I love weekends.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com