Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mold in the egg

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone else experienced mold forming in their egg? I recently moved to Tampa and it may be from the extreme humidity. I use the egg a couple times a week. Sometimes it gets real bad and covers everything inside. This happens when it's covered or not...

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• TOROLNSTND
    Options
    Wardster,
    I think we've all had some experience with mold in a dormant Egg after 2 or 3 weeks of non use but I've never heard of this before. One good tip I've seen is to open up the vents and burn off any remnants after a long cook for mold prevention, but firing up the Egg beforehand to burn off the mold works very well. I'd do a little investigating to see what causes your particular problem though, is the Egg out in a sunny spot on the lawn with the automatic sprinklers hitting it twice a day maybe? Condensation is going to be your biggest enemy here, so maybe try wheeling it into the garage when not in use.

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Wardster,[p]What I do is when finished cooking I take the top cap off and close the vent at the bottom. I leave it this way for about 20 minutes and then put the top cap on to shut down the fire. I feel that this allow the moisture to escape before shutting it down.[p]Hope this helps![p]Ashley

• Jim Benenson
    Options
    Wardster,[p]I used to live in the Tampa area, Temple Terrace and Lutz to be exact, until 1993.[p]Mold is a part of the tropics and difficult to eliminate. My recommendation would be to make sure the Egg is as dry as possible and food-free after use, then leave it open so that air can circulate through it. Find a location where it's hot and breezy.[p]Try catching some sea trout off the causeway and putting them on the Egg![p]Jim

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Zen Cooker #1,
    I hear ya. I'm in South Tampa. Been here for 6 months. We have a lot of woods in our backyard and the problem with leaving it open is that the palmetto bugs get inside. The missus does not like to see me starting the fire with them running for their lives. Lanai is way too small to bring the egg inside. I guess I will just have to figure it out.
    Thanks

Apollo Beach, FL