Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Giant Prime Rib Roast

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am preparing to cook on Sunday a 13 lb. boneless rib roast. Has anyone had any experince in cooking a beast of this size? Cook time, temp, method, etc. would be helpful.[p]Thanks,
DanO

Comments

• Palisin
    Options
    DanO,
    Yeah send it to me I'll take care of it for ya;>

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    DanO,[p]First of all you want to make sure that the beast aint still kickin'. Man, thats a big chunk of meat. Last time I saw something that big cooking it was on a spit with an apple in its mouth. My wife bought a 7.5 pound bone in chuck roast the other day and I thought THAT was big, it doesnt have a THING on what you have there.[p]Sorry, no experience on cooking a beast that big. I would think that slow cooking it would make it mushy. If it were mine, I'd probably sear the outside well, 600 or so on each side till its seared nicely, then set the temp on about 350 and let 'er go till its about 140 inside. I'd also go indirect as direct would dry out the outside of the meat by the time the inside is to temp. Good luck, let us know how it comes out and the technique you use.[p]Troy
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    DanO,
    I agree with sprinter. Sear each side at 600 for 2 mins. Indirect the rest until desired temp. I did one not too long ago and it turned out great...

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Kevin D
    Options
    DanO,[p]I cook a prime rib half that size last week. At 375 degrees it took 30 minutes per pound to hit a nice rare 125 internal temp. Best I ever had. Once again, I have eliminated a menu item from restaurants. I no longer order steak, ribs, and now prime rib.[p]Kevin
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    DanO,[p]The biggest I've done is a 15.5 lb. bone in roast for a gathering this last Christmas. The big ones are actually no harder to cook than their smaller brothers.[p]Any favored cooking method will work well on the larger cut with the only difference being that it will tend to cook faster than the minutes per pound suggested for the recipe. The cut is only longer (not thicker).[p]I like to cook prime rib directly on the grill using 250°F dome temp. Flip (roll) the meal to allow all sides to face down every 45 minutes until it has a nice crust developed. I finish cooking with the bone side down but you should move it to a v-rack over a drip pan to finish the cook. A cut your size should run in the 25-30 min/pound range depending on the doneness you want. You could also cook it entirely over the drip pan and raise the temp just prior to when the meal is ready to remove to give it the nice crust.[p]Lots of possiblities with this nice cut of beef, and all can be fantastic.[p]Spin

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Spin,[p]My apologies. The cooking times should run in the 20 minutes per pound range. [p]Spin
  • Trout Bum
    Options
    DanO,
    Try the link below for a fantastic prime rib recipe.
    B D

[ul][li]Prime Rib Roast[/ul]