Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone try the BGE Sure Grip Oven Mitt?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As a newbie I'm looking for recommendations as to what kind of gloves to purchase for lifting the hot plate setter or pizza stone out and would I need 2 gloves. I've tried various silicon ones at the stores but I find them hard to manage. What do you recommend for a lady with smaller hands? Would the BGE sure grip be more pliable because it looks thinner? Those of you with welder gloves, do they really insulate against a hot stone? I'm currently using those pampered chef cotton oven mitts for lifting the dome when it gets too hot but couldn't imagine using them to lift out the plate setter. What do you all use?

Comments

• JudyFoodie,
    i use an ove glove, still gets a little warm, but perfect for quick movement

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_0487.jpg
    <p />JudyFoodie,
    I much prefer the blue Orka mittens and yes while the grip is somewhat clumsey when I'm sticking my hands in harms way I know I'll be protected to 500°. I use the short red ones when I'm lifting my Dutch oven in and out. While I have welders gloves and use them from time to time in lower temps the heat transfer is rather quick compared to the other ones. BTW if you're a member of Sam's Club they sell a pair of 500° gloves with opposing thumbs for $10.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    JudyFoodie,[p]Those silicone gloves are not good for removing the platesetter or pizza stone. I melted one doing it a couple months ago, resulting in a dropped multi-piece platesetter. They are rated to 400*, and even though the dome temp may only read 300, the bottom of that plate setter may be much hotter.[p]I use a simple method now. An old towel folded over a few times, then an oven mitt. I put the mitt on my hand, hold the towel, and grab the plate setter to remove it. I use this method for removing cast iron pans from the egg as well. For no longer than I grab them, the heat doesn't transfer through all that material.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    100_0116.jpg
    <p />JudyFoodie, I've been looking at gloves for some time. The biggest thing I've learned is the definition of glove temperature. When the glove manufacturer says a glove is good to 600 degrees, that does not mean, it will protect you to 600 degrees. It means the glove, itself, will take up to 600 degree temperatures before it's damaged. So, don't assume you can use a 600 degree rated glove in a 500 degree egg and hold hot things indefinitely. [p]For quick notes on heat transfer, there are several ways to transfer heat. With the egg it's typically convection and conduction. Convection is sticking one's hand in a hot egg and feeling the heat. Most gloves protect on this one. Conduction is grabbing something hot and having the heat transfer from the object to your hand. This is the difficult one to get total protection. [p]The best thing I can say about gloves is the more you pay the better the protection, usually, and the harder it is to have reasonable hand movements. There are a number of materials available as insulators: silicon, leather, Kevlar, wool, foam and some manufacturer specialty blends.[p]Silicon is the orka type gloves; good to about 600 degrees because silicon is good to 600 degrees, remember not protection to 600 degrees. [p]Welding gloves are generally leather with wool or foam as insulators. I'm still trying to figure out what affects high temps has on leather and if there are side affects to how we use it in an egg. Kevlar is a high strength and high temperature material; The better welding gloves will use Kevlar for stitching. All Kevlar gloves are available but are expensive. I'm still looking for a reasonable priced one for egg applications.[p]So all this said, I've decided on a two step approach: two gloves with glove-in-glove availabilty. See picture above. I've concluded:[p]1. plan ahead, have space ready and such, the time needed to hold something will be minimized
    2 Working around the egg, things get dirty including gloves. Washable is good. The Best gloves (black) are washable.
    3. Two reasonably price pairs are better than one expensive pair.
    4. Better chance of finding one pair when needed. I loose stuff a lot.
    5. Welders glove with Kevlar stitching and wool insulation are good gloves with reasonable prices.
    6. The Best black glove comes in sizes, so can match to welder's glove.
    7. Use one glove for most applications, Best or Welder's. For real hot applications, both gloves work well. [p]Time to stop, this is getting way too long. Hope it helps. T[p]

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    RRP,[p]Where did you pick 'em up?
  • tjv,
    Wow, thanks for the amazing write up. I've saved this in my BGE reference file. Did not know about he heat protection level...good to know. By the way what are "Best" gloves? Is that a brand name?

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    JudyFoodie,[p]Short answer is welders gloves. Had mine for 8+ years and, although they are a little dirty, they still work like a charm. Cost 8+ years ago: $9
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Jeeves,
    The Orkas came from Amazon - about $15 each. The red Dexos "Heat Holders" came from BB&B - but haven't seen them there in years. BTW these Orkas are the short ones - they sell longer ones that reach most peoples elbows or a small person's armpits!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fidel,
    I think I will stay away from silicone gloves for now. They don't fit me properly anyways. Question: is there a need to move the platesetter much while it's hot? Couldn't I just let it cool down overnight and then move it? I guess that depends on what kind of cooking I do and how best I plan my cooks. Never thought I would spend so much time thinking about the right gloves for outdoor grilling. Probably wouldn't have to think so much with a gasser.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    JudyFoodie,[p]It doesn't happen very often, but sometimes you want to switch from indirect to direct for a different food item, or to finish a particular item. [p]
  • JudyFoodie, I'm just wondering..... How about using a large "C" clamp to move things from a hot Egg. No doubt, you'll still need gloves, but its long "reach" with adjustable jaws would probably allow you to remove/add anything in a safe fashion. They're available in all sizes from small to LARGE! Or maybe there's a similar tool (like vise-grips)that would work just as well. Whadda y'all think?[p]Rascal
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    JudyFoodie,[p]Just a thought..... Go to your local fire department. (Bring them some eggfood) and ask them where they get their gloves from. Who knows with eggfood they might just give you a pair of gloves. LOL. Or better yet may volunteer to move the plate setter for you the next time you cook. [p]Mike
  • MIke in Abita,
    OOOOHHHH I like that idea. Could even offer some to the police officers so they'll do more frequent patrols in my neighbourhood to ensure my egg's not stolen. LOL.

• JudyFoodie,[p]STOLEN EGG... Don't even think it. That would ruin my whole month maybe year. HEE HEE [p]Mike