Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Notes On Reheating Pulled Pork

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I needed a quick dinner to feed the family. Two boxes of Mac and Cheese and some frozen peas latter, it was a meal fit for a five year old. As I was rummaging through the freezer, I found a Ziploc bag of Pulled Pork that was left over from March. I pulled it out and tossed the still frozen block of meat in a small saucepan over medium heat. I sprinkled the meat with a NC vinegar based sauced as the meat thawed. When the meat was warmed, I just put it on the plate with some bottled Jamaican BBQ Sauce along with the kiddie food. Let me tell you, I ate well.[p]The moral of the story is that six months in the freezer did little to harm the great flavor of Pull Pork from the Egg.[p]Happy Smoking,
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    For that reason I did two 8lb'rs last weekend just to freeze for lunches. Vacuum pack works well for long term freezer storage, and in your case ziplock did its job well also.
    Good weekend to ya
    Painter

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I meant to tell you...I did your Pickpeppa shrimp and they turned out Great..And it takes at least 2 loafs of french bread to sop up the sauce.[p]Larry

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Painter,
    Just got done sealing up and freezing a dozen lunches from a 7 pounder I did yesterday. Plus I slipped me in a late mornin' sammich! Still tasting it.[p]Great weekend on ya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]You bring up a great point with the vinegar sauce. When you slowly heat up pulled pork with a little vinegar, the warmed over flavor pretty much avoided. It works with just about any meat as well.[p]Ashley

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Nature Boy, A dozen from a 7 lb'r? Great, We took the same math class, 28 large sammiches from my 16 lbs.
    Good weekend to you also.
    Painter

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    YB,
    I am glad that you liked the shrimp. I wish that I could take credit for the recipe but it came from a book.
    Did you bake them on the Egg?
    R&J[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Painter,
    I made several different sizes, from a small sammich size, to enough for 3 sammiches. Very unscientific! Whatever the numbers, it comes up to less than a buck a sammich. Not bad.[p]Time to get my butt off this chair, and get out into the yard! We are having righteous weather. Hope you too.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • YB
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    We cooked them in the oven...It was pouring down rain at the time...They still came out Great...Whos coming to Eggtoberfest with you.[p]Larry

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    YB,
    Dan is in. Scot is a maybe.
    R&J[p]

• TOROLNSTND
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Well it's nice to know that the leftovers keep for some time. I wouldn't know though as the maximum leftover storage time in my house is approximately 24 hours. If nobody eats it by then it goes straight into the Garbage Disposal (by the way, "Garbage Disposal" is what I call myself after 8:00 pm).

• Nature Boy
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Look forward to seeing you and your pal(s) again. I could also be toting along a couple buddies, but waiting for spousal approval on the pre- or post-eggtoberfest backpacking trip in the Smokies. My buds probably won't come if I can't fit in some backpacking.
    Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • YB
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Remind Dan to watch his step...And don't drink with JJ.
    Larry

• Big Murth
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    A little late coming in, but I second the devotion...to re-heated PP! Got in late after registering Daughter #2 for the Cross Country team, and I grabbed the tupperware with a previous cook inside, and sprinkled some swiss cheese on top (!), and slathered it with a wicked combo of Maurice's plus some leftover "pork" BBQ sauce from W.Sonoma, which didn't turn out bad, on some big bad buns. Yeahh Baby!!! Hosed it all down with a totally fresh Dos Equis...it's all good, eh! Big Murth saying "Howdy to all y Salud"--have a great weekend!!