Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What To Do With Leftover Pulled Pork

BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hi all;[p]i have been lurking a lot more lately, but over this past weekend i pulled a party off for around 60 people, it was a baby shower a "jack and jill" type one where all the women brought their significant other. we mad 96 abt's friday night, also did 4 fatties because we had people sleeping here friday and saturday night. so for breakfast i took my le creuset dutch oven and made breakfast saturday morning (made hungry man or boat eggs or what ever we are calling it now) actually the first time i did breakfast in a dutch oven or on the egg, was pretty proud of myself. i also dipped into my pulled pork reserve DSCN0083.jpg
here was some of what ive got in the freezer before food savered
(usually when i do pulled pork i dont even eat any i just put it into food saver bags and freeze). anyway we defrosted and boiled one too many bags and have about 6-8 cups of pulled pork lefrtover and between the party and yesterday i am very over eating bbq sandwitches, wraps, and just bowls of q. so i was thinking maybe someone out there has a good idea of what to make i know i can't refreeze it but i almost am ready to make pulled pork stew with the leftover peppers, asparagas, and celery (leftover from veggie tray).i think i can then freeze the soup (however i am real unsure of the safty factor i figure if it gets to the boiling stage again it will be safe to freeze! correct me if i am wrong {PLEASE})[p]anyway i guess i will stop rambling and let ya'll get on with answering my questions[p]
Thanks[p]
happy eggin
tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Retread
    Retread Posts: 13
    BENTE,try a pulled pork pizza. Use your imagination as to what you want to accompany the pulled pork on the pizza. Often times less is more.

• BENTE,
    Stew would be good. I've done soup with pulled pork many times. Just start with a good chicken stock, put in veggies, cooked pasta, and as much pulled pork as you want. Season and eat. You could make up a bunch of burritos also. I'm not a food safety expert, but if your already cooked pulled pork has been handled properly (not left out of the fridge for many hours), there shouldn't be a problem reusing it for stew, soup or burritos and then freezing it. The only issue will be texture. The meat will dry out a bit more each time it is refrozen.
    Hope that helps.[p]Paul

• bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
    BENTE,[p]How about pulled pork enchilads? We made Green Chili sauce to go over some pulled pork enchiladas. We used Thirdeye's recipe for Green Chili but left out the ground pork so that it made more of a sauce. We also left out the Serrano chilies to keep the heat level down. Turned out GREAT!![p]DSCN1666.jpg[p]We then smothered the pulled pork enchiladas in the green chili sauce and cheese and baked them in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes. EXCELLENT![p]DSCN1665.jpg[p]DSCN1669.jpg

• ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    Onehazelnut,
    Brunswick stew. Substitute pork for chicken.

• BENTE, TB you should have taken it to the Bar last nite while watching the Steelers Play. I guarantee you would not have had to by one beer. By the way Pete said that he never even saw the iron city that I brought for him. I think you may be a likely suspect. hehehe. I gotta go. Try the pork in a shepherd's pie

• BENTE
    Onehazelnut,
    man that looks good but the woman carring the baby would not like anything green. i might have to wait and do that myself when football season really gets into full swing and i end up running everyone off being loud.[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Essex County,
    thanks for confirming what i thought. hopefully we are both right. LOL[p]tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Retread,
    had not thought of that one maybe use bbq sauce as pizza sauce.[p]thanks[p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Steeler Fan,
    yea was a pretty good game i am a little more than eggcited about this year. coach impressed me alot more for going to latrobe in all black and all long sleeves and pants(he called it "mental warfare" so his players could not come to him and tell him how hot it was).[p]
    shepards pie i haven't done one of those in years....[p]
    happy eggin
    tb[p]p.s. if the steel city beer was yuengling (or jim beam)then i might be a bigger suspect but i haven't seen it either

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE,
    Wife and I made a BBQ pizza with some left over pulled pork we had - it was one of the best pizza's we've made. I think we had BBQ sauce as the base, a variety of cheese, mushrooms, onions and I think that was it other than the pork. It was definate do again.[p]C.

• BENTE
    conundrum,
    yea that was what i was thinking about doing after i seen pizza suggested below although woman carring the child does not want any sauce so i have my hands tied i keep offering her all everyone's ideas and well she is pregnate[sp]. so i will keep passing them along as long as everyone keeps suggesting them.[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Big Hoser
    Big Hoser Posts: 104
    BENTE,[p]I cooked up a Boston Butt last week and divided it up into 2 containers. Container 1 I used this last week for good ol' pulled pork sammiches, and container 2's pork (sitting in the freezer) will be used to try out something I've seen on Food Network (BBQ with Bobby Flay and one of Paula Dean's specials): BBQ Spaghetti! From what I saw, it looks real simple: spaghetti pasta like you normally make it and substitute your favorite BBQ sauce instead of marinara and the pulled pork instead of meatballs. I understand this is a very popular dish in Memphis (Neely's, I believe). Paired up with some garlic cheese bread and I think I'll have a winner here.
  • BENTE,
    hey! hungry man breakfast is NOT boat eggs and don't forget it! hahaha[p]i suggest you make a pan of boat eggs tomorrow morning with two or three of those cups of pp you have and you will have breakfast for the next week.[p]

• BENTE
    Big Hoser,
    yea i've seen a show or two but had forgotten all about bbq spaghetti
    thanks
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    yea if i can hold the pp until friday it might be better i have to leave for the auction at 7am..[p]although they are NOT boat eggs i have not heard what the name is supposed to be but i think most on here know what i'm talking about..[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    BENTE,
    Sounds like you gotta keep it slightly bland while your wife is buildin' that baby. You can always try nachos(she can add or delete what she wants on'em), twice-baked porkstuffed potatoes(one of my wifes favorites while carrying), dirty rice with pork incorperated, Pork-cream of mushroom-noodles, Pork-n-dumplins,etc... This gives a you a great opportunity to be creative, and, you can always tell your wife, "I created this just for you". Congrats on the one to come.
    Big'un

• BENTE,
    it's all breakfast food in a pan, man

• BENTE
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    yea but some people like recieving credit so it is either you or c wolf who pretty much convinced me to try it.[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE,
    i'm only here for the beer. cw needs all the credit he can get.[p]you should be eating pork right now... get busy! hahaa

• BENTE
    Big'un,
    thanks on the congrats!!! and thanks for all the really good idea i know she likes dirty rice we even watched paula dean do it a week or so ago and she put chicken livers in it can't say i can eat anything i have ever fished with but i'm sure it will be good it sounds great though. i wanted to do the and dumplins thing but was told that did not sound too good.now twice stuffed potato sounds like dinner on tomorrow!1 [p]
    thanks [p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    already did ate pp quesedia's!! got to say pretty easy and used a cup or so for 4 of them. so i still got some left will proabably do twice stuffed potato tomorrow night. [p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb