Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

We are now Multi Eggin

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It`s official folks...after picking up my first Egg ( a large ) at Eggfest on April 28th..I got hooked..so yesterday I picked my shiny new small..we are now a 2 egg family ( in 4 1/2 months )...any of you small users got any tips and tricks other than the obvious stuff..I figured I`d use it mainly for cooking smaller hotter stuff so`s not to have to fire the large up to 600°-700° just to spend 5 minutes cooking 2 steaks.if you know what I mean...figure I`ll wait till BGE releases their cast iron grate rather than messing with the floor drain....[p]Wess

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    WessB,
    You will find that the small we be used more than you think. I do quite a bit of low and slow on it. When it is only 1 or 2 slabs of ribs or one boston butt. Also, YB haas a set up on his that I copied and that is getting a webber cooking grid 3.5 dia and 4 - 3.5" stainless steel carriage bolts. By locking the bolts into the grid it places the upper grid level with the rim and also gives you a second cooking level.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    extragratesmall.jpg
    <p />WessB,
    You will love the small egg..We use it the most..The extra grid gives you twice as much cooking space and makes the small egg cook more like the large.

[ul][li]Grate Detail[/ul]
  • WessB
    Options
    YB,
    Thanks....made a very similar setup for my large for jerky...loking forward to many good cooks on this small..[p]Wess

• YB
    Options
    WessB,
    Your welcome...Have fun with the little guy.[p]Larry

• YB
    Options
    WessB,
    Your welcome...Have fun with the little guy.[p]Larry

• Trout Bum
    Options
    WessB,
    I use my little guy quite often. At first I thought it was to small for most cooks after using the large. But I've found it to be very stingy on lump and as capable as the large for many things.
    Did a dozen ears of corn on it a couple of times. Just stacked em up on top of each other and rotated and filled em a coup[le of times.
    B D

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    WessB,
    For the four dollars that it cost, the floor drain works like a champ. If you plan on ultra-high temperatures with the small, get the floor drain[p]Congrats. When is the mini getting purchased for your boat?
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    YB, [p]I'm not sure if you have tried this or not, but you can cut that grid in half and have a warming rack like you see on a gas grill. Just cut the grill in half across the center rod, then cut back a couple more ribs so takes up a little less than half the grill surface. It is nice for a couple buns while the burgers are dwelling.[p]Ashley
  • WessB
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    LOL....you could get you a job with Cleo the physcic...been trying to talk Sally into that for a while...she weren`t none to happy bout me buying the small..but she sure don`t mind eatin off em....I can certainly see the need to upgrade the grate, as I have used the trivet in my large since day 1 ...do you know what the measurement was on the floor drain?? I would guess 5 or 6 inches[p]Wess

• WessB
    Options
    Zip,
    That sounds lilke an eggselent idea...leave it to the people of this forum, and you never know what you`ll find..BGE could get a lot of new product ideas from here...Thanks[p]Wess

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    WessB,
    I had a choice of one at Home Depot that looked like it would fit and I guessed right. The drain cover had legs on it that I sawed off with a hacksaw. [p]Any chance that you and Sally will make Atlanta?

Happy Qing,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    grate7.jpg
    <p />WessB,[p]You'll like the small and like JJ says, you will use it more than Mr Big. I have added the new BGE floor drain (grate) and it works fine. I had used a piece of expanded mesh but the new grate works just as well. I lite my fires from below the grate if grilling and that's all I do on the small - grill. [p]I also don't try to get anything more than 600 deg when searing steaks on it. The small will get to 700 but it is not easy and 550-600 in it will have flames kissing that steak. Do something to raise the dome thermo or it will poke into anything large in there. Enjoy![p]Tim
  • YB
    Options
    Zip,
    Thanks...Thats a great idea.
    Larry

• WessB
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I seriously doubt it...but we will definately be at Eggfest ( and cooking this time ) next year...looking very much forward to seeing everyone again.[p]Wess

• WessB
    Options
    Tim M,
    with regards to the thermometer...since the first time I had to pull it out a little on my large...I put the clip that comes with the therm. on the outside of the egg..kinda acts as a spacer plus you can adjust how far it sticks into the egg in a matter of seconds..and the thing aint ever gonna fall outta the egg anyway..so I see no need to have the clip on the inside...hope this is helpful to others..thanks for the tips on the grate..[p]Wess

• YB
    Options
    Tim M,
    It's funny how things go around....My 12 year old BGE (red) came with a cast iron grate in it.
    Larry

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Tim M,
    Have you tried removing the fire ring one the small when cooking steaks? I remember that some one here had suggested placing the grill directly on the firebox to get meat closer to the coals. I have wanted to try it for some time, but I have not had a chance.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk

• TOROLNSTND
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Rather than risk damaging the fire ring when handling it, it would probably be easier to just fill the coals up closer to the grate. I usually keep mine filled up over the fire ring anyway, with no problems.

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    WessB,
    A couple of posts suggested lowering the grate by removing the fire ring. If, on the other hand you want to raise it, you can use a second fire ring. That raises the grate to the top of the bottom half of the egg. This very nearly simulates the distance a normal grate on the large is from the coals.
    JimW