Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks-My ribs were much better yesterday

TomCPA
TomCPA Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I don't have pictures, but my ribs turned out much better than the last disaster I had with ribs. [p]I went out and bought the plate setter. I used it to make a pizza, which was very good and then yesterday I tackled ribs. I got them at BJ's Wholesale Club and started prepping them. I went and got my fire going, soaked some apple wood chunks and got it to 250 degrees dome. I went back to my ribs and I pulled off the membrane (first one was a pain, but I got better), slathered them in mustard, gave them a rub and put them back in the fridge. [p]Once the fire was stable, I put a drip pan in with apple juice and kept the fire at 250. After an hour, I put the ribs on. I let them go for 5 1/2 hours and sauced them with homemade barbecue sauce for 20 minutes. They were falling off the bone when I pulled them off. I probably could have shed a 1/2 off the cook time, but now that I have a method that seems to work, I may not play with it. [p]Thanks for all your help in getting them to be pull off the bone, lip-smacking good!.[p]

Comments

• TomCPA,[p]Sounds like you did an excellent job. Way to go...next time post some pic's so we could all see how they turned out.
  • TomCPA,
    Were these baby backs? You ought to try using hickory- I think nothing beats hickory for smoke on ribs![p]I did my first babybacks yesterday to bring to a cookout/party. I was amazed at how much easier the membrane comes off the BB's than it does off regular spares.
    I stuffed 6 racks of BB's into the large. Unfortunately it was more than could be covered by the platesetter and some burnt to a crisp. The rest were good though. Lots of praise and thanks and none left at the end of the day.

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Flashback Bob,
    There is an aluminum pan that fits inside the legs up plate setter on my large that , with a little liquid in it extends the heat barrier over the edges of the plate setter. Sorry I can't get to it tonight for size, 9x13-10x12?

• TomCPA
    TomCPA Posts: 82
    Flashback Bob,[p]They were baby backs. I might take a shot at hickory next time. I am still playing and trying different stuff. I've been barbecuing for a few years. I am planning a party for very soon and I need to perfect other items than hot dogs and burgers. This was my third shot at ribs and I think I have at least a better idea of how to do them.